1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tried doing my own repairs....

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Brant'sLawnCare, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Well I was attempting to replace my alternator on my Diesel. I was trying to relieve the belt tension, when SNAP, the 1/2in reciever broke. Oh well, so much for saving myself some money by doing the repair myself. I'm just a little flustered...:eek:

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

You always save money doing repairs yourself. :nod: It like running your own garage..............For every hour your repairing your own equipment, even if your slower or not as well equipped as the garage ,you save yourself the garage hourly rate.payup But some days are like that. :dizzy: When you say "receiver" that would be the part that ya put the ratchet into. correct????????????????tymusic

3. Brant'sLawnCare

Yes that is correct. I banged my elbow pretty good too.... lol:cry: kidding

4. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Don't worry, once in awhile I do my own in house repairs and have the same problems.
    So did you get the alternator changed out?

5. Brant'sLawnCare

Nope, it's at the shop right now. I just told them to do it all. I figure if they are gonna be messing around with the tensioner, they may as well just throw the alternator I bought on at the same time. I would have liked to have done it myself. But I need it to plow snow on Thursday night.

6. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Wow that's wierd. I've done mine a few times now and it doesn't seem as though there is enough tension to make that componenet break. This is the perfect do it youself job. It's the easiest alternator swap I have ever done. After I did it the first time I was in shock. The engineers at Ford deserved a big ATABOY for that design. I think they were trying to "stick it to the man" when they designed it. When was the last time a manufacturer designed an automotive component that did not require a dealer or special tools to R&R.

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

That's not always true

If you are working on equipment instead of doing what you do then how much are you saving?.....Especially if it takes you longer to do it

8. augerandblade

Now that sounds like a excuse not to get yur hands dirty.:nod: For example today Im hauling out a transmission in a 2000 Chev 3500 HD in order to replace the clutch. What elso can I do in between storms.:dizzy: Equipment is set to go for the next round.:nod: MMMMMMMMMMMM maybe repair the truck Im going to use for hauling Ontario wide in the summer.tymusic

9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You right i dont want to get my hands dirty:dizzy:

I you want to do your own repairs by all means go ahead but a blanket statment that someone is always saving money doing their own isnt true

10. augerandblade

Ya your correct :nod:when you say that staying at the yard and doing repairs instead of being out there and getting the job done is a loss of money.:nod: I agree in that scenario. Ya Ive sent stuff to the shop, so the schedule stays on track even though the balance sheet aint gonna show a profit:mad: because of the high hourly rates charged by Mr Goodwrench

11. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

And this time of year, unless you've got a heated shop to work in, is no fun crawlin' around under a truck. JMO (My 7.3 just came back from the shop for a waterpump and tensioner)

12. augerandblade

:
    :jester:Just havin fun with ya :nod:but the waterpump and tensioner are not located under the truck,:nod: it should be located near/behind the radiator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jester:

13. Brant'sLawnCare

Well guys I just got the truck back the other day. It's actually a good thing I took it in. There were a few loose connections or shorts, which caused the original alternator to get fried. So even if I had been able to fix it, I woulda had the same problem eventually. So in reality, I lost about $200 for the part I broke, and labor to fix that part. But I'm just glad the truck is fixed before it snows again. Ended up spending like $600 total on the repairs though!

14. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

i've just painted the truck.. total cost including newer bed, paint and other supplies was 1300...

[​IMG]

15. Brant'sLawnCare

Nice. Sounds like you saved yourself some money there!

16. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

What no after pics?:p

17. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

He is probably not done with it yet. Since he is doing all that work to fix up his truck he is probably still working on the frame. Looks like a can of worms deal. But worth the time and effort

18. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

we pulled it outta the booth and put it together as fast as possible... snow storm rolling in..(this was on feb 20th)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    changed the grille while i was at it...
    [​IMG]
    and i did the bed liner to bottom 1/4 of the truck...

since these pics the truck has been wet sanded and polished
    and on the underside of the truck i used 3 gallons of ruberized undercoating under the truck and on the bed...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  19. MJD82

MJD82 Member

nice work, good color, paint looks like it laid good, good call on the lights behind the grill. Sweet truck!