1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tricks With Your V Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Daner, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

How do you like your V plow?? Compared to your old straight blade.

How do you use It to Your advantage?
    Do you ever use the V position>?
    How about the dog leg??...When do you find this feature handy??
    And the scoop position....Tell us how you can make more time ...or ...do a better job With the V Plow

2. payton

payton Senior Member

i love my boss v only other blade i might buy would be a blizzard.

use the V to bust up piles if there too big to carry all at once.

dog leg comes in handy next to buildings. so your not wind rowing it all over. but you can actually carry some . quicker clean up time.

carrying snow is so much better and faster.

running with 2 of my guys who both run 9ft blades. i can run circles around them. unless they hook there trucks together. side by side both blades angled in. literally rubbin mirrors on the doors..

3. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

I'd like to watch that.

4. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

This Is just my 2nd yr running a V plow...and now getting use to It so I don't have to look at the buttons...At first I felt like a piano player ...with all the diff modes.

I Love the V...I use the scoop the most ,pushing loads with no wind rows...and that dog leg Is great too...never really use the V position too much.

5. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Here at work I've used our 9'2" v boss and butted edges with our loader with a 10' angle plow, that will move some snow, but can get tricky. It is something to watch.

6. mojob

mojob Member

I don't have any experience with a straight blade but I have grown to love my Boss V. The vee postion came in real handy with the blizzard we just had. The city came through and plowed all the side streets and buried everybodies driveways with a 4' high x 4' wide iceburg. There's no way I would have been able to bust through these with a straight blade. I use the scoop postion a lot too. It doesn't back drag for crap though. I don't want any more residential accounts anyway.

7. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Dog leg? What is this? I've never used a Vplow or paid much attention to them as I'm completely fine with straight blades but I'm interested in what's that about.

8. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

There is no comparison with a straight blade. If you want a plow that has bullet proof hydraulics and unparalleled design, get a Boss. I would never buy a different plow, period.

9. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

From the Western Website:
    Dogleg Blade
    Move one wing to straight blade position and the other “OUT” to scoop blade position for clean up of windrows. Kinda like this...... \___

This makes the blade a little wider than a straight angled blade and kind "shoots" the snow out for windrowing. I haven't had a chance to do it this year, but have done it in the past.

Mostly, I use the scoop postion. If it's a light snow, I will run the V position to clear the lane while I am putting down salt in the same pass. Less to melt that way.

I had a Meyer 8.5' for 8 years and then got the Western V. There is no comparison, IMO.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  10. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Driveway with drifted snow that is abive the height of the plow, nothing like the V to do the job. Use it quite a bit to bust through and get a start on cleaning up. This picture was from the first pass. Coming down the 1rst 200 feet of drive would have take a straight balde about 1 1/2 hours with the drifts. Took on pass to open it up with the V.

DSC01950~0.JPG

11. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Once opened up I dog leg to get the most in front of the blade without without widrows. This same drive would have taken 2 hours with a straightr blade, I know because I have done drives like this with a straight blade. Took longer than I wanted, but I have only once taken up to 45 min. to do this drive.

The inverted V is also great for stacking the snow. This pile is 30 feet long and about 20 feet deep.

normal_DSC01944~0.JPG

12. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

I haven't had the luxury of using mine in a deep snow, yet, but I do remember trying to bust through drifts with my straight blade and it was exhausting...to say the least. Plus, the angled plow "throws" you to whichever side you have it angled. I could only dream of having a V plow to keep centered and bust on through....Just like you did. Great pics there ECS.

The other this is stacking: I could never stack as high with my straight blade as I can with my Western MVP. And you don't get hung up as easily...IMO.

13. ECS

ECS Senior Member

The pile in the first pictures starts out nearly at the back corner of the house in the picture. I used a straight blade for 6 years when I worked for some one else until I got fired. When I started doing this on my own I went to the V because it was very warranted with the snow and wind we get here. Saves time and equipment.

14. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Me and another guy did that at a large lot on this last storm. Kinda cool but a little nerve racking. We were almost done so we took it slow cause or mirrors were real close to one another. In fact they may have bumped a little. Cleared a hell of alot of snow real quick though.

15. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

This is my first year with a V and I will never go back to a straight blade. This week I have used that "dog leg" quite a few times, I think its great for wind rowing long passes, it all together cut out some of the trail off. The scoop position is sweet, it has definetly cut my time down in some lots, other lots where I thought it would be a little quicker (a V blade) it hasn't been. All in all, I love it, and I dont know if its me but I would say if you see 10 trucks plowing commercial, 8 of them have a V blade of some type, kinda like when you buy a new car, as soon as you drive it off the lot you seem to see a ton of them.

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

ECS, you still suck. :realmad:

JK was wondering if winter finally set in for you, obviously it has. I hope all is going well for you. Don't worry, LLM hasn't made it back yet. ;)

17. Ya,
    Thats the only way we plow my big lots. Get the trucks together and put em side by side. I do it in all of mine, just one big pusher. My buddy that drives my other truck is a hell of an operator so we get rollin fast through the lots. Just dont forget to angle away from each other at the end, otherwise you can get sucked right into the other truck very easily. The plows are hitting at all times, no big deal. Im not too worried about scratching the paint on my stuff. I have pro wings on both of my plows so that makes it a little easier also. Its 43 degrees here and all my snow is MELTING!!!!!!!!!! Hope you guys had your piles pushed back enough cause next week it will turn to pure concrete.......:drinkup:

18. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

so, giving that a V-plow is awesome for a blizzard and huge snows.

how about a regular 3 to 12" storm, big lot
    V-plow vs. a 8' plow with wings.

How does that compare out?

19. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Started out really good and has of late turned into chit for snow. No snow just fuggin cold here.

How ya been?

20. payton

payton Senior Member

thats apples to oranges.
    i love my v blade. it does so much. with a str8 blade you only got so many options.

it comes down to what your use to and what you like/prefer.