1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tricks to putting plow on and off???

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by peterk800xc, Dec 4, 2005.

1. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

On my new Boss 7.5 without the Smart Hitch, I find that when I go to hook up the plow, I have to use my small hydraulic jack to raise the plow frame up high enough to enable the pins to be high enough to engage the tower.It also hangs up when I pull the pins to take it off.When I go to take it off, I pull the pin and drop the stand and it seems that the stand does not hold the frame up high enough so the next time I go to mount the plow, the frame is to low. Anyone have a suggestion on this?
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

you should drop the stand before you unhook the plow. that way the plow will be at the right height.
  3. peterk800xc

Super- I do drop the stand before unhooking the plow.I now use a 3/4 inch piece of plywood under the stand to keep it at the right height.No clue as to why this happens though!Thanks.
  4. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

I believe the piece of wood helps. I have mine sitting on one too.(Mine sits on the lawn so mine will sink a little bit over time without the wood under the stand.
  5. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

It's probably the weight of the plow on the truck. When you put the plow on the truck is sagging, when you take if off up she goes, which makes the truck too high to put the plow on.
  6. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

agree, how much does the truck sag when the plow is on and up?
  7. IFD158

IFD158 Junior Member

Tricks to putting plow on and off

I have had the same problem with hooking up my rt3 with smarthitch. My solution, I have found that when removing plow, i drop the stand and insert pin into closest hole. I then raise plow a little then readjust stand one more hole lower, then when I lower the plow the frame is sitting high enough to release and is ready to remount when the time comes. its an added step but its been working for me. hope it helps
  8. peterk800xc

IFD158- that sounds like it may work in my case to.Next time I remount it I will let you know how it worked out. Pete:nod:
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

That's your solution.....

However, to make it even quicker, mark the hole with a sharpie.

If you're putting the plow in the same spot each time, it should be the same hole each time, your truck doesn't switch 2-3" each time.

Before you put the stand and pop the pin, see which hole you need, then pull it back out and mark it somehow, with a sharpie, or a quick blast of spray paint if you have it.

This way you know which hole it is before you drop it the first time.

However, if you're like me, and are putting them around different spots on the property, none of which are completely level, this won't work.
  10. maineskier69

maineskier69 Junior Member
    from maine

How is your frame height on the truck? Boss recommends that your pin holes measure 15 1/2" from flat floor to center of eye. If you are off more than 1" it can make it hard to put on and take off.
  11. peterk800xc

Thanks to all

Thanks to all for helping me out with this little problem.I did do what IFD158 suggested and it now mounts/dismounted great.:nod: