1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tricks of the trade (v. it's cold outside)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by crazymike, Dec 6, 2007.

1. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I think it would be fun to have a thread of tips and tricks you have came up with over the years. I will get things started.

Frozen Auger

Everyone has done it, left salt in their tailgate spreader when taking a nap or maybe tired after the shift, or even just driving to the next site. And lets not forget einstein employees.

I've tried everything from gasoline to diesel fuel to chipping salt, but there is one thing that works gaurenteed every single time no matter how bad you froze it up.

Windshield washer fluid. Pour in 1-2 jugs of windshield washer fluid along the auger, or top of the salt and let it sit for a few minutes. Turn on your auger and presto, frozen salt be gone. If it's really, really bad drop your tray open and you should be able to chip it out easily. This trick has never failed me.

Maneuvering in tight areas

I see guys with straight blades all the time having trouble maneuvering in tight areas with cars, etc... Keep your plow own and angle it as turn. By changing the angle you will be just like having a vblade in front. When my plow is on I'm constantly angling the blade in tight areas to squeeze in.

Angle your blade so the drivers side is farthest

This has been a big debate as wether to do this or not. I don't want to start that. But as someone who has been in a head on with their plow on, angled to the right, I can tell you this works. I was hit head on drivers side with the plow on, the plow first angled to the left, then tripped completely slowing down the car and lightly pushing the truck back. Not a scratch on my truck. (can't say the same for the other guy)

Backdragging

If your blade isn't cleaning well when backdragging a spot because it has been packed, etc... try the following.

Backdrag the spot first and remove as much snow as possible.

Back up and now plow forward scraping up the snow.

Backdrag the snow you just plowed forward out of the spot.

These are fairly simple tricks I've learned over the years. Some might be useful, others not. But perhaps to someone new you might enjoy them.

Please post any tips or tricks you have and maybe we will all learn something.

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

bring an extra sandwich for those big storms when everything is closed. you might be tired and cold but at least you wont be hungry//

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

please....

keep them coming.... there is no wisdom like experience.....:)

4. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

Beverages

When drinking beverages to stay awake, weither it be coffee, pop, or what ever. Do two things

A.) keep it in a thermous or a reclosable bottle, no coffee cups or cans!

B.)Dont drink anything when your about to hit a pile.

5. Tools

Had to use this by 8:15 this morning : come-along

Lost the pin for my lift cylinder (Boss straight) and I could angle
    but not lift.
    Saw the problem and knew this was going to be easier in the shop.
    Got out the come-along and pulled the blade up a few inches then
    chained for safety.
    Short ride back , slow and back roads.

Also carry a cheap light weight hydralic jack ( mini floor jack)
    for an occasional plow adjustment/maintenance.

Tool boxes, electrical testers, contact cleaner, dialectric grease,
    duct tape,

Needed a bungie cord to fix a ladies mailbox (county plowed wet heavy
    snow at 40+mph) but didnt have one.

tc

6. Ff

Sunday, I tried FF in the window tracks when the windows were freezing
    in the "wintery-mix"

worked

7. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

This is a good one, oh that pile ain't hard yet wam hot coffee everywhere

8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

one day that washer fluid in the salt spreader is going to save my butt

THANKS!

9. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

Yeah, it took me a week to get the hot chocolate off of...well everything.:drinkup:

10. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

yeah, I came up with that one after the gas station attendant freaked out on me for pouring diesel all over the auger. Probably for the better as the next step was to light it on fire :p

11. danv

danv Junior Member

Keep a complete change of clothes in the truck including socks and underware.

12. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Yea I like the washer fuild one.

13. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

pick up the paper befor u plow the driveway. if not come spring ull have pile of plastic bags with paper remains inside.BUT IF U PICK IT UP AND PUT IT IN THE TRUCK TAKE IT OUT WHEN UR DONE.

14. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

Keep somthing in the truck (i.e. cup) to pee in...Bad storm, everythings closed, its minus 1F and the wind is howling...ouch it hurts just thinking about it.

15. cup

hope that cup has a lid---"little jon"

16. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I can pee out of the truck without even putting shoes on :p

17. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

Fot the guys that drive the older trucks with the triangle windows up front, Keep them cracked open and your windows will not fog...

Also always carry the following two most important plowing essentials

Toilet Paper and Duct Tape

18. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For me, the most essential thing is a cell phone. I've had to call a tow truck on several occasions - broke down and being stuck. With no store or anything within several miles, a cell phone is a life saver.

19. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

This may sound odd but i also have a paint striping business. Well when i clean out at the end of year to flush out my lines on the stripers, i use thinner. I spray that over my entire sand pile - maybe a couple tons worth that I use - I go through a 15 - 20 gallons to thinner. After all the ice, snow, and freezen tempts, my sand has a slight crust on top, but the rest is nice sand for spreaden. We spread alot of walks. Now when I spread that sand - the fumes of thinner and pretty prevailing but it has seemed to work awesome for use this winter!

20. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

No need, when your done just dump it out the window.

HAHA, Ive done that before too.