1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tricks for taking rear wheels off

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Wilburn Parks, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Wilburn Parks

Wilburn Parks PlowSite.com Veteran

I have to pull the rear dual wheels of my F-550 to change rear brakes and I know they are stuck cause I had to have a tire fixed and they had a hard time getting them off. So I am hoping you guys have heard of some tricks I don't know of to help me get them off when I start to change brakes.

2. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Here's a few things we do at the shop at work to get them off. Use lots of PB Blaster on the face and in between the rims and on the back side, let it sit for a day if possible, reapply part way thru the day. Smacking the back side or front (back is more effective, but with duals I'd do both) of the tires with a sledge, have the truck securely blocked up for this. I use my 18 pound sledge or sometimes my 60 pound death hammer, just whatch out for bounce back. Another trick is to take a large dia. steel punch or a long, stout bolt 12"x3/4"dia and place one end in between the studs on the rim and smack with a 2-3 pound hammer working your way around the rim in a similar pattern as you would tighten lug nuts. An air hammer with a hammer head on it used between the studs does some good, less effort, but more noise though and not as good as a punch and hammer. I have heated them in extreme cases, but it weakens the rim and you MUST have the air out of the tires first, this is the last ditch effort, try everything else a couple times first. If you have any questions let me know. Hope this helps .:gunsfiring: get the rims

3. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member

Won't help you much now...

Before assembly clean mating surfaces and coat with grease or anti-seize. Its very messy but the next time they will come apart very easily.

As for now... lots of sweat and verbal coxing:) .

Derek

4. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Yeah, Rowski has the right idea for preventing a next time, we do that, I just spaced putting that bit of info in my post. opps:dizzy: one other thought I guess you could:gunsfiring: them off the truck.:nod:

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Loosen the lug nuts a little. Drive around a parking lot slowly and let them work themselves loose. Common problem on the Fords.

Lube them up with grease of anti-sieze before reinstalling. Make sure you lubricate the slides and anything else that moves on the brakes too. We've had the same problem with those. You'd think that Ford would be willing to spend another $5-10 per truck to eliminate these problems.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  6. oakvillerex

oakvillerex Member

Try an 8 ft. steel bar between the two wheels

7. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Are we talking cast wheels or steel wheels?

8. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member

We had a Jeep wrangler that you could not get the rear wheel off, had a slow leak in the tire. We tried all the usuall including lots of heat. We even took it for a road test on very badly wash board dirt roads. We ended up cutting the rim off.

Derek

9. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

take a 2x4 or 4x4 about 10ft long and from underneath the truck on the backside of the rim place the end of the 2x4 or 4x4 smack the other end with a sledge. pops right off, it might take alittle time but it will work.

10. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

use a BigFrickinHammer and lots of anti seize

11. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

If your going to beat it off then leave a couple of lug nuts on but leave them loose. That way you dont have a loose tire rolling around the shop. Might not be as bad as you think. What ever you do dont hit the rim theres a good chance that you will bend it. Also before you put it back on take some sand paper and clean off the hub and wheel before you put antisieze on it.....Rob

12. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

hit the rim. if its that stuck the tire will absorb the force of the hammering and few trs ago one of my techs was beating a rim off a car on the lift missed the rim hit the tire the hammer hit him in the head he hit the ground. that left a mark

john

13. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I used an incredibly large rubber mallet- worked like a charm.

then of course anti-seized it putting it back together.
    Now I do it twice a year when I switch the rims and have no problems.

14. Wilburn Parks

Wilburn Parks PlowSite.com Veteran

well I got them off yesterday by losening the lug nuts, put a little heat to wheel then drove down street while swirving back and forth a little. Now I have to wait till Mon. to buy a axel nut socket. It's 3 1/4 by 8 point. Most tool stores are closed for thanksgiving that would have it. Thanks again for the help.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  15. basheroffroad

basheroffroad Junior Member

I'm assuming you have already resolved the problem but what I have done in the past is taken a bottle of ATF and put it in a spray bottle park the tire on something to keep the atf rom soaking into the ground then give all the lugs and the area around the mating surfaces of the rim a good spray down with the ATF. then let it sit for a few hours and it should come right off with minimal force as ATF is a very good penetrant and lubricant. learned the trick from my uncle an auto mechanic for 20 years. he finally told me after a week of fighting with a tire on my brothers car lol