1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trickle Chargers

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JohnnyRoyale, Nov 20, 2008.

1. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Has anyone installed trickle chargers on their equipment? We have tracking devices on all of our machines and they tend to drain the batteries if they arent started every few days. I was told a 1 amp trickle charger for 20 bucks would do the trick. Any thoughts?

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

They have solar ones that plug into your cigarette lighter and they will provide you enough for that. I have a couple 1 amp trickle chargers also and they work great.

3. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I also have a couple . 1 hooked up to the bike for the winter and 1 to my truck when it sits..I got the Black and decker ones at walmart for 20 bucks.....Cant go wrong with having one especially if the truck sits sometimes...

4. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

Ditto. One on the motorcyle, one on the truck. Never a problem.

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I have 3 battery tenders one on the bike and 2 on my mowers. Work great.

Regards Mike

6. Bill 211

Bill 211 Member

i prefer a battery tender , they turn on & off automatically when the voltage gets to a certian point, a charger just keeps charging & charging , possibly cooking the battery, solar panels only charge when the sun is bright

7. JohnnyRoyale

Thanks for your input. I guess battery tender is ther right terminology. I thought about the solar ones JD, but what happens when machine is covered w/snow?

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I imagine light will shine through, a calculator still works when not much light, they might be worth a try. The problem with anything is, you have to remember to plug them in. I wonder if you could hook them up to the block heater so you only have one plug to use.

9. JohnnyRoyale

I'll ask a mechanic friend of mine tomorrow. Theres nothing I hate more than having to boost machines in the middle of a storm.

10. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I use the solar powered ones. Plug it into the lighter plug and leave the panel on the seat.
    If its not sunny out, your usually out clearing snow.:drinkup:

11. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Look around on eBay or junkyards for the solar plug in ones .They either came with or were an option on the new style VW bugs.Not sure if sears still has the same going but last week i bought their version of the tender works as a 2volt tender or can be used as a 4 volt charger.

12. JohnnyRoyale

So I picked up one of these 1.8 Amp solar chargers at Crappy Tire this morning for a truck of mine which has been having some trouble maintaining full charge if left sitting for 24-48 hours. We'll see what happens over the weekend. Before I get some smarty pants remark like "maybe you should replace the batteries", I KNOW I'LL MOST PROBABLY HAVE TO REPLACE THE BATTERIES cuz they're still original but thought I would try this in the meantime. The electric ones are on sale for 12 bucks for those canadians interested.

solar charger.jpg

solar charger.jpg

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Battery Tenders are on sale for $12 at CT is what your saying?

14. JohnnyRoyale

Thats what I saw at the Barrie store. Reg $20.00

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm going to go grab a few tonight. I have one on my bike but I might as well put them on my four wheelers and a few other things I don't use much in the winter. Thanks for telling me.:drinkup:

16. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

We have a solar pannel on a machine that sits the winter, and thats hooked to a controler that doesn't let the battery cook.