1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trick to removing gaskets???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ABES, Feb 22, 2008.

1. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

So i pick up my truck from the shop today after having the intake gaskets replaced, and i make it about 5 miles when i smell coolant :realmad:. i turn around bring it back to them and the mechanic there (really nice guy) takes a quick look and points out that my waterpump is bad and leaking coolant. He tells me its and easy fix and i can do it myself if i want so i just got back in from the garage and im having a hard time removing the old gasket from the motor its kinda tight and i cant really get a putty knife in there. is there a trick or wasy way to remove the old gaskets??

2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

what i do is i have quarter sharpen 1 side . Dont forger 2 get some gasket maker dont just put a dry gasket in it
  3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Thanks i will go and try that. ya i have a tube of Fel-Pro black rtv sealant that he gave me to use.
  4. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

you can also use a razor blade held by a pair of channel locks. I do reccomend using the utility knife blades vs the thin razor ones though.
  5. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

gasket scraper for the get it off and angle die grinder with a cookie wheel to polish the mating surfaces
  6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I went to home depot and got a razor blade scraper worked great then i just cleaned it up with a wire brush its ready for the new water pump i am going to call it a night though and put the new pump in tommorow when i have 2 sets of hands to hold it in place when i bolt the new pump in.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A quick tip:

When you install the pump, use your RTV sealer to glue the new gaskets to the pump. Dont glue them to the block. Makes it easier to keep them in place..
  8. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Yup thats exactly what the mechanic told me to do :nod: