1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trick to plowing storage units

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BossPlowGuy04, Dec 1, 2008.

1. BossPlowGuy04

BossPlowGuy04 Senior Member
    from novi Mi

ok i've had it! are there any tricks to plowing storage units with out buying a v-blade it seems like i just keep throwing the snow back and forth accrosed what i just plowed. i took me 3 hours to plow a storage units that are three rows and each row is about 200 feet long. how i've been doing it is starting on the one side of the row wind rowing away from the doors into the middle of the row, then i'll do the same from the other side till i have a nice long pile down the middle of the row, the i make the blade stright and start takeing runs down but it makes such a mess. any tips
  2. DSLL

DSLL Senior Member

We just keep working the snow back and forth, from left to right down the entire pass. So you first pass is with the blade angled to the right, along the doors on the left hand side. Then your second pass is along the right hand side with your blade angled to the left. That is how we do it with the straight blades. You could also consider adding wings to your plow. The wings might not be able to be used right away, with all the snow, but they will speed up clean up for sure. Hope that helps, good luck!

Here is a video showing how wings would help during cleaning up.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jr9zFUYTU5U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jr9zFUYTU5U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

CIMG0510 (Large).jpg
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

A set of Pro wings (about $ 200) will help, other than that you have the right idea using what you have.
  4. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

get side plates for your straight blade. It will help to keep snow intact somewhat!

Heres a pic :waving:

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

A skid steer with pusher or box ends for your straight blade would be about the only logical solution....
  6. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Cre you have so many toys, never any plowing pics....! Start a thread you fool!
  7. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

Do you get any closer than what it shows or is that as close as you can get? How close to the doors does your facility want it? Looks pretty good. My storage unit wants it as close as possible but my units are in the middle and I just have to angle right and make a circle around the units.
  8. DSLL

DSLL Senior Member

Thanks. Yea that is about as close as we can get due to the down spouts. I really don't want to worry about ripping off one of those so I leave a little room. If there is a heavy snow fall I will spend more time getting closer to the doors with the vee blade.
  9. creativedesigns

I got wayyy too many toys!!! Thats what ur GF said:D
  10. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

But your wife said i have the best tools!:waving:
  11. creativedesigns

She likes my new Slizzard tool ! :D ! :drinkup: :waving: LOL lol lol lol
  12. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

you could get wings for plow or if you have 2 trucks put plows togetter you must be careful not hit each other but it works realy good
  13. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

How long can you 2 yung'un's keep this upwesport?
  14. heather lawn spray

If you can do this^^^ one truck (left side) slightly leads. Right truck watches left truck's blade out of his window. You end up with a 16 foot V blade. works well
  15. BossPlowGuy04

BossPlowGuy04 Senior Member
    from novi Mi

that could work good but i only have one truck for ow :cry:
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

With a 1/2 ton and a 7.5ft plow I wouldn't adviise Heather's advice, no offense Heather.:drinkup:
  17. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

If you are paid hourly, just get a set of wings, they will help. If your paid per push, go out and get a V-blade. You will make double per hour as what you are making right now, and will have the blade cost difference in a short time, and then it is all payup in the bank. JMO

PS: Use the right tool for the right job!
  18. heather lawn spray

Aw just fold the mirrors and bungee the trucks together! :jester:
  19. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Like running a dozer in summer, create a trough in the middle adding snow as needed (whatever the truck will push) this will keep snow on the sides acting like a tunnel. If you just windrow it into the middle, alot of the times the snow just builds a V in front of the blade and spills off the sides again. This is how straight blade dozers carry bigger amounts of material.
  20. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

if you only have a strait balde, pro wing would be a good investment if you dont have a lot of money.. The only suggestions i have for plowing are that you windrow all the snow to the middle. Then you have to push it all out with the blade strait. This part takes a while. You learn how much snow your blade will hold. lets say the middle row of snow is 1' high, back up 5' from the end(end your pushing snow too) of the row. Then push that 5' length of the middle row. If you lose a lot of snow off the sides then you have to push less than 5' of the row, if you dont lose any than you can push more..once you know this, then you just keep backing up and only taking the amount of snow that you can push to the end without losing it off the sides of the blade....It takes a while, but its really the only way to do it with a strait blade..

Hopefully i explained it good enough to understand..