1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Triangle?" won't go down?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Jeremie444, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Jeremie444

Jeremie444 Junior Member

I don't know what the actual term is for it but the yellow triangle piece that lifts the blade chains doesn't seem to want to go back to the completely lowered position...

My truck is lifted, and I've been trying to get my blade to sit right, so that the chains are slack when the "yellow triangle" is all the way down. Every time I go to lengthen them the yellow triangle, just goes higher. If I don't lengthen them I can't mount the headgear and blade without jacks and a whole lot of time and effort.

What am I doing wrong? I'm afraid to shorten the chain because making it too short means that the headgear won't mount to the truck due to the angle that the push plates are at compared to the pushplate receivers on the headgear.... this is very difficult to explain i'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. :angry:

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Turn your quill adjustment out a little. Also make sure packing nut on lift ram is not over tightened.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Are you trying this in float? You need to. You may need a pry bar or something for leverage. Worse case jack the plow up with a floor jack and loosen the tension off of the chains that way. If the cyl raises still, you have air in the system and need to fix that first.

....................and it's called a lift channel.

4. Jeremie444

Jeremie444 Junior Member

What's the quill adjustment? and whats a packing nut?

When I put the blade into lower, the whole thing just drops(can't stop it except to hit lift again) but the lift channel only goes down to the point that the blade touches the ground, it doesn't lower any more than that, even thought the piston is still clearly not compressed fully.

am I making any sense?:confused:

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It won't go down without a lot of force. You are making sense........clearly we aren't ;)

6. Jeremie444

Jeremie444 Junior Member

ok, i'll try those two things first. see what happens.

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

*quill is the small stainless screw on the power unit that adjusts the float speed

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I think hes not understanding how the whole "single" acting hydraulics work.

9. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Im going to assume this is a Minute Mount 1. The MM1 didn't have anything to pull the lift arm down further than what the lift chain will pull it down. With the MM1, even on a stock truck, you have to put it in float(hold joystick down for 5-10 seconds) and push the lift arm down manually to put slack in the chain to be able to remount the plow later. And if I think I know what you mean by the angle of the headgear, your headgear is falling backwards when you dismount the plow? If so, just have someone pull the headgear forwards when you drive into the attachment arms. I have to do this on 2 of my plows, one because it falls backwards and another because as soon as you release the pins the truck goes up 1.5 inches or so.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  10. Jeremie444

Jeremie444 Junior Member

Yes, sierra1500 it's a MM1, I just dismounted it today and was able to push the lift arm/channel down just by hanging myself on it, this is such a learning curve, I've never owned a plow so this has been super helpful.. If my truck starts up tomorrow (had a big fuel leak hopefully it's fixed) i'll try to remount it and adjust the chains again. Thumbs Up

11. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

The Quill does not adjust the "float speed", It adjusts the drop rate.