1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tri-axle weight questions

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Ground Cover, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Ground Cover

Ground Cover Junior Member

guys i need help. i bought a 2005 Kenworth t-800 tractor. i am having the fram stretched to put a 3300 gal stainless steel tank on. i am also adding a lift axle \. i know if i run the lift in line with my tandem that it will only gain me 8,000. what will i gain if i were to run a
    9' spread on my lift axle. i belive it will go to 12000 is that correct. i am located in michigan
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't know, but curious to hear. I'm pretty sure moving the tag forward is a big gain.
  3. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

We have 20K tag axles in MA
  4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I would go directly to Michigan DOT.Their are usually so many different formulas it will make your head spin.I'm quite sure here in NY they now have to be steerable ones only.
  5. Ground Cover

thanks guys. i did some more research and i just get more confused. i will be calling in the morning and let you guys know. i was also reading some more and with the bridge formula and the wheelbase i will have i think i am good to 58000 either way but i will be checking tomorrow
  6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

And what that tag is worth in what state may be different in the next state over. I know a construction company that i buy material from and dump yard waste at has both an NH and MA permit for their trucks with tags that gives them different legal capacities in MA than in NH. Was crazy when the drivers were telling me about it.
  7. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

the truck up-fitter you get to stretch the frame and put the axle on will be able to give you that info.
  8. Ground Cover

well we got this figured out. i can get 12,000 if i run a 9 ft spread. but then when u factor the bridge law in i can get 58,000 regardles of how my axels are set up. we are going to run a 9' spread to try and help with being over loaded on the steering axle. when i calculate my weight out loaded i should only be around 56,000. ordered the new stainlees steel tank today hope we get it in time to have it set up for spring.
  9. 4d9

4d9 Junior Member
    from 49329

if memory serves me correct as it stands without the lift axle, you can put 12,000 on steers and 34,000 on tandems. that gives you 46,000 without the lift axle. to figure it out a little better, i would need size of tires on steer axle, distance between steer axles and lift axle. distance between lift axle and first axle of tandem. distance between each tandem. might want to take into consideration turning the vehicle or just remember to pick up lift axle when turning. I know that they make some lift axles that will turn when you turn.