1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tri-Axle Tailgate Removal

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Verto, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Verto

Verto Junior Member
    from VA

Looking for some creative ways to lift off a Tri-Axle steel tailgate. Do not have access to a forklift, loader, or anything like that. Need to remove it so a spreader can sit in the bed.

My current method is basically an engine crane bolted to a 10ft steel pole. Have to pull a pickup behind it to act as a counter weight... takes about 10 minutes but may be a pain to do when snow is falling so trying to find a better way to do it.

2. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

Gantry crane with a chain hoist is another option.

3. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

Off is the easy part. Gravity will help with that. Getting it back on is the tricky part...

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How are you putting the spreader in?

5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Why not just go to your friendly gravel bank.Have all your possible rigging ready and let them do it with their loader.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Ya, what are you going to do to get a spreader in there.

Personally I would look for an under-tailgate spreader and save the headache of trying to remove the tailgate.

7. Verto

Verto Junior Member
    from VA

8. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

You're spreading diesel?

9. tuney443

It's faster working than salt,especially when you light it up with a gasoline chaser.

10. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

LMAO Thumbs Up

That is a sweet looking spreader.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The gasoline chaser is essential in temps below 10 degrees. Like straight salt, straight diesel does not work as well in the colder temps

12. Verto

Verto Junior Member
    from VA

it's a henderson hydraulic spreader. has a small diesel engine to power the hydraulic unit...

13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I assumed that's what you meant but when I read through the link I didn't see anything about the engine.

Very cool concept, even if I do dislike the idea of another engine. Sure wouldn't discount the possibilities.

Any more info regarding the engine?

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have a tree with a branch strong enough and high enough to support the tailgate?

15. Verto

Verto Junior Member
    from VA

nope no tree at the house. as i said current rig is 4x4 steel post with an engine crane bolted to the top, pretty redneck...

the engine is an isuzu diesel. has about 26hp. makes it completely independent of the truck, so no need for PTO pumps and lines. spreader is a beast. 14ft stainless. bigger than most pickup trucks... has a built in liquid system which is neat, and the leg system is great because it's easy to store and you can actually use the truck.

16. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Very cool.

I'd love to see one up close and personal. I highly doubt I want to see the price.

The leg system is nothing new, Monroe came out with it a good 10 years ago.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Isuzu diesel. Is that still top shelf?

18. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

No silly, Cummings are top shelf. Thumbs Up

19. tuney443

Had an Isuzu 4 banger diesel in my 1981 Chevette---55 mpg.Last I heard it was at 300K miles and still running fine.I'd call that top shelf.

20. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Let me guess, no PS or PB, right?