1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trend of cheap people?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by chris.outdoor, Dec 23, 2010.

1. chris.outdoor

chris.outdoor Member
    from NH

Has anyone noticed all the threads of accounts/ contracts being lost and changed lately? I my self have had to change alot of mine and iv only been salting! i haven't dropped my plow yet this year. My gas station beat me up BAD and now says there not paying for the salt i have put down because the manager did not request it... THAT WAS NOT IN THE AGREEMENT. the parking lot looks like crap and is snow and ice covered 90% of the time and DANGEROUS. that represents my business and i don't want my lot to look like s### i lost another huge account because the owner put my client over a barrel and today i stopped in to an account that never sent a contract back and noticed it wasn't done yet.... they told me they are having a renter of there's doing it for back rent.... i cant win this year!!! if i make it through this year im REALLY debating not even doing this next year. the dry weather and fussy people are just getting worse and worse.. sorry for the rant but who else is getting beat up over this stuff? im SURE im not alone

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Until the economy picks up, its going to get worse. We have actually grown this year time will tell if the new clients stick around. Downward presure on pricing is going to be around for awhile, until peoples day jobs pick up (& the guys resi guys dont want to be bothered), construction companies that havent done snow for awhile, are getting back into it, to generate some cash flow, if the construction season had been decent, they wouldnt mess with the snow. Seems everyone is just trying to stay a float.

3. chris.outdoor

chris.outdoor Member
    from NH

I dont think anyone could hit it on the head anymore than you just did.. i see out of staters up here to.. i dont wish bad on ANYONE but i think this tough winter will thin things out also...

4. RMHSR

RMHSR Member

I agree with your observation. Last year was the worst year I have had on getting paid. We got hit hard in Feb and then the season pretty much died off after that. I struggled getting paid by my customers. It took alot of phone calls and personal visits to finally get paid. Received my final check in June. This year I have only had one customer that has made changes but I am really nervous about collection time. I would love to just leave a lot unplowed until I get paid but that makes me look bad. Plowing is so cut throat and everyone knows who has what lot and is certainly willing to take it out from under you at the blink of an eye. One of my partner companies I plow with was blind sided by a company he has plowed for 16 years. This goes to show you that loyalty no longer means anything.

5. chris.outdoor

chris.outdoor Member
    from NH

no loyalty anymore at all. if someone is 2 dollars less than you kiss it goodbye.. i know a guy who lowballs EVERYONE and then turns around to say it costs him to much to plow... but yet he bids everything UNDER actual cost.... and no one can touch him.. but we ALL know what lots and stations he has.. and the worst part is all these business whine and cry about what it looks like or how he never show es... BUT SIGN HIM UP YEAR AFTER YEAR... i always tell people.. YOU GET EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!:rolleyes:

6. Idaho Cowboy

Idaho Cowboy Junior Member

^ their own fault. Keep paying a guy to do work and he never does it... their own fault. Breech of contract sounds like to me. I know as a contractor, if I underbid something or don't have the money to finish, tough s**t on me. I still have to finish the job I contractor for. BTDT too many times to count. Worst one for me was a contract $17k too short. That hurt... a lot.

7. chris.outdoor

chris.outdoor Member
    from NH

OUCH! 17k... well not as bad but this year i told a guy that i would build/ pour and finish a sidewalk/ handy cap ramp for a friend of his that broke his neck.. i told him id do it for just materials.... well he brought me the day before and the sidewalk kinda GREW lol so i ended up hiring someone to help me..... took $400.00 out of my pocket but i WILL NOT tell someone i can do it and screw them over.. if i say ill do it it WILL get done.. a mans word is his word... to bad its not a common practice anymore:rolleyes: