1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tremclad Paint Job

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Redneck, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

I thought some of you might be intrested in seeing this, I did a little research prior to painting the truck and rather than spending over a grand in paint and booth time I see a fella who painted a Dodge Charger and it looked MINT so after carefuly folowing his instructions heres what can be done with a roller yes I said roller. What do you fellas think?

truck before1.jpg

truck before2.jpg

truck before3.jpg

truck after1.jpg

truck after2.jpg

2. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

and some more

truck after3.jpg

3. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Not bad but why do you have your license plate mounted there instead of on the bumper?

4. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Its the law here, I could have put it on the dash but decided I didnt want it bouncing around

5. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

That sucks. Here I just left mine on the driver side corner of my bumper. The rear I mounted on my rollbar so they can see it as I have the spreader on my rear.

6. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Do you have the 350 or the 305?

7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

What makes your truck a 1500HD?- never heard of such a thing on a '92.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Truck does look alot better. We used to paint everything with Tremcad but have found for the time it takes to clean and prep something, the better paint is worth the money. Tremclad doesn't stand up that well and when buying good paint, you don't have to spend anywhere near $1000 unless you want too. Your truck does look very good now though! I'd be proud of it. JMO

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Truck looks 10000x better!! I saw the same Tremclad Orange Charger you are talking about, also looked fantastic.

Lets put it this way, truck looked pretty well worthless in the before pics, I'd say its an eyecatcher now!

Well done!

Is it smooth enough to get a good coat of wax on it? If so, do it, it will last much longer by helping to seal it...

10. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Mines the 350 w/ 5spd

11. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

I looked up the glove box code on it, It was originally a camper special, Upgraded everything from suspention to rear end ect ect so I guess it isnt a "Real" HD but close enough

12. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

The ol chevy looks great!!!

At first when you said that you were going to use a roller, the first thing that came to mind was my uncle using a roller on his 87 F150 that he painted black & white. And I will say it was a long ways away from lookin pretty.

13. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

To be honest I cant belive how it turned out, mind you it was 7 coats with a 3" foam roller took the best part of four days not just that but wet sanding in between every coat, then buffing but its great get a scratch spray bomb Id do it again for sure.

14. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

So what is this Tremclad? Does it end up shiny? Truck looks good in the pics but can't really see any of the finish.

15. Detroitdan

I've yet to hear anyone worry about the front plate here, but I have heard of people getting stopped for the rear plate covered by the sander. I probably should put mine up on the back rack because my sander covers it. When I have my plow and sander on you cant see either plate.

16. Detroitdan

Why are the truck high beams and the plow lights on together?

17. derekbroerse

Tremclad is a Canadian paint.... about the equivelent to Rustoleum. Found in any hardware store in Canada, around $5-6 for a spray can or $30ish for a gallon. Its an enamel, with some additives to resist rusting I'd imagine.

The Charger article he's referring to can be seen here:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

18. derekbroerse

Probably the way he's got them wired, on a separate circuit. We've had daytime running lights here since '87 on cars, and about 89/90 on trucks (my 90 S15 has em)....

My 'guess' is he's on parking lights, with DRL's, and his plow headlights separately turned on...?

19. Detroitdan

DRLs should be the low beams. My DRLs switch to the plow lights when I flip the switch. I was just hinting that maybe he took the lazy way out when wiring the lights, and now gets to look at the back of the plow all lit up. I couldn't stand that, especially with my white plow.
    BTW, I love DRLs. Best thing since sliced bread. I am forced to drive a Ford (puke) for work, and I turn the headlights on the second I start the car.

20. Detroitdan

Wow. I just spent over an hour reading that. Only made it through about 8 pages so far. I can't wait to get started!