1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Treating other members better

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GSORK, Jan 29, 2005.

1. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

I have noticed there is a lot of slamming here lately. I really like this site but find a few of the posts could be half as long if were not callings the people improper names and insults . If a persons price is to high don't buy it .It"s simple. If you don't agree to a persons answer then so what ! Move on to the next post
    Lets be a little nicer out here....Please
  2. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Alot of people are getting sick of it, including me. Hasn't always been like this though. It used to be a place where people were always nice and friendly but that has all gone to hell lately. :angry:
  3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I agree. Calling each other names and cussing at other members just shows the ignorance of the member.
  4. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

i agree also.I have been here for a while but do not post alot due to the fact that if someone doesnt like my answer or my idea they will be ********.Sounds dumb but i have better things than start a pissing war over something.The site is great ,lets keep it great!!
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Like I've said before, we go through this every winter. Give it another month or so. Then we'll be back to the group of "hardcore" plow guys. I may be wrong this year (hope not) as there is another issue that resulted in a lot of guys being on Plowsite who are not really serious about plowing.

I like to think that I'm pretty civil, but I've found myself "strained" lately. Seems like my replies were sometimes a little "snappish" looking back on them.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  6. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

ThankYou for that. I as well dont post much, but spend a good deal of time daily just reading. I am probably not what you would call a "harcore" plower, but have been here for sometime. I have run into problems here before, since I am 17, some members feel that what I have to say is irrelevant, Imust be an idiot. Others welcome my point of view-thank you to those members.
  7. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

You think this is bad? Pfft........you should see the guys on jeepsunlimited.com. It's unbelievable over there. But I know what you mean. Flaming has no place in forums such as these.

Not only am I not a hardcore plower, I don't even own a plow......yet. But I plan on coming back year-round to pick up hints, tips, tricks, anything I can to learn as much as I can, both about techniques and tools.
  8. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I don't remember reading a mean post on this site or Jeepsunlimited. I would just ignore the people that get under your skin. It's a moderator's job to make sure that anybody that is overly aggresive is banned.
  9. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I'm in the same boat as DJ is. I find it hard to learn and pick up info between all the fighting between people. Hell go look at the thread Truck and Trailer for sale, in the for sale section. What the hell brought that comment on?
    Sometimes you just sit back and shake your head.

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My use of the term "hardcore" plower wasn't intended to offend anyone. By that I meant to include people like ProEnterprises and DJDarknez who are reading and learning as much as possible as well as "big guys" who earn a substantial percentage of their income from snow-related services. Heck, four or five years ago I was asking some of the most basic questions you can imagine. Now, I like to think I've learned a little.

There are simply some who register somewhere around December and make obnxious or nonsense posts. Then they'll either get banned or just disappear. Happens regularly.

ProEnterprises - be assured I do not dismiss anyone's question/observation/point of view because of their age. I think there are others here who can attest to that. In case you didn't know, the guy who had the idea to start the annual BBQ get together and trade show in Poughkeepsie was (I think) 15 at the time.
  11. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

hehe, no worries here, you certainly didn't offend me. I know exactly what you mean. I'm that would be the guys who run landscaping during the summer and plowing during the winter. i.e. they're main source of income during the chilly months.

Mick - You must have learned a few things, what with that plowsite verteran tag ya got hangin around your neck! :salute:
  12. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I totally agree But when you get a moron know it all Kid posting to everything that doesent Know anything to add but B/S it gets annoying
  13. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

I was glad to see someone start this thread, it's long overdue, I have had many questions I'd like to ask but have refrained from doing so because who knows who is going to be offended or you are told that question was already asked a hundred times. This is a great site lets try to keep it that way.
  14. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Ask them. That is the only way people are going to learn. I am new to plowing and I am wanting to learn as much as possible, kinda like a sponge sucking up all the info I can.

15. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

can the moron who knows nuthing but offer opinions all the time be eleminated?
  16. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

When I get tired of it I just go to a couple other sites that I am a member of. Come to think of it I haven't been here for a few weeks. Guess I got tired of it :nod: . I have found four different guys lately that are just bashing and posting rude remarks so I figure it is easier for me to leave than fight it..
  17. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

Ive been communicating on forums for about 7 or 8 years now and belong to a few of them, Im either bored or have many interests, the jury is still out on that one. This forum isnt bad at all and is one of the more pleasant ones that I frequent (JeepsUnlimited happens to be one of the worse ones).
    I find that one needs to be more tolerant when communicating with the written word. You lose alot of the tone, facial expression and general feeling that is present when in person or with a voice. The smilies help some but not always and everything tends to come off harsher than probably was intended.
    Before you type a reply, say it out loud or in your head. Does it sound like something you would say to that person if they were standing right in front of you? If not, dont type it. Its easy to type A$$hole, but where Im from, you dont just blurt it out because someone will end up picking thmeselves up off the dirt. There would be alot less name calling if there was some way to have cyber fights, say an electric shock through the monitor. An opponent would hit NumLock and a 40000V jolt comes shooting out your monitor, a cyber "sucker punch".
    Give the respect that you would like to get. Nothing else to say about that, everyone already knows that and its either something you do or something you dont do.
    This may be the wrong approach but I pay very little attention to the identity of the person Im replying to. I make it a point to not know anyones profile, age, race, experience, location, religion, or much of anything. The reason I choose not to gather and remember this info is so I take each discussion for what it is with no crudges or ill feelings. That sounds cold but it helps me focus on the information and I take nothing personally. Why should I? No one here knows me personally.
    I hope this helps avoid at least one not so proud internet moment.
  18. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I'm guilty of it at times.....Usually sparked by a comment by another person.

But in real life, if someone "rubs me the wrong way" in conversation....I react similar.

It's just that as these attitudes excalate, they continue to snow-ball (no pun intended :eek: ) out of control.

Every now and then, we need a reality check.....That or some snow! :D
  19. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I must agree. Not to name any names but there was alot of arguing when a certain member was here. When he left, it went with him. Now, there's another one stirring up trouble everywhere. I myself am no angel as with anybody on here. If you're not here to talk about snow or you're here to think you know it all, then leave.
  20. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

I strongly agree. I found this site to be a wealth of information and ideas. There are large multi truck operators all the way to the part time guy, guys with well over 20 years in the business to newbees. All who all contribute here. This forum is supposed to allow us to share ideas, comments, suggestions, and learn a thing or two, so we can improve our business, become more profitable and successful.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, weather or not you agree with it. If you should disagree rather than spitting out insults or :gunsfiring: , how about stating your opinion and some supporting statements and facts :rolleyes: As of late I have read some real childish stuff from a few members who were involved it a quarrel, and some real unkind replies. That really detracts from the usefulness of this forum. It troubles me that members are not willing to speak up because they dont want to have to deal with some kind of verbal retribution or attack. When a member decides not to participate or even visit the board because he is tired of all the b/s it takes away from what this board is supposed to be about and the overall usefulness of the board.

Were all here to help each other. When I first started in this business in 1984 a site like this would have been very helpful. Hell today it's helpful and I've got a few years in running businesses under by belt.

So please think before you speak, are you contributing or just running your mouth (fingers), if the latter is the case try a chat room provided by your isp.
    Ken :salute: