1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Treating chain on Sprdr

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bossfan, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Bossfan

Bossfan Member
    from Kansas

Hi all!! Was wondering, I know there are a lot of different things to do to keep rust off the drive chain on a spreader. What is the best way to lubricate it? I just last week got out my Highway stainless Honda spreader, started it, ran it through, hosed it, washed it and greased it. What sort of treatment should i give the conveyor chain? Some say to mix some soap, water and diesel and spray that on. Others recommend just regular penetrating oil. What do you think is best?

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I would think that WD-40 and Zep would work well. I prefer Zep as they are stronger and last longer. We use those stuff on our fire dept. extrication tools to keep it from rusting.

3. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

WD-40 works well to help displace water and prevent short term rust,but you should really treat it with something else afterwards.Fluid Film is good for long term durabilty,and holds up well to salt.Not heavy and thick like grease.Use the WD-40 right after washing,and then apply the Fluid Film after the WD-40 dries up a bit.

Fluid Film website for more info

5. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

What about used motor oil and kerosene mix?? and just spray it on with a garden sprayer.

6. JML

JML PlowSite.com Veteran

someone told me diesel fuel???

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Forgot to mention,but the Fluid Film is environmentally friendly,unlike most petroleum based products.

8. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Lubra-Seal

Bossfan you can contact RHOMAR Industries out of Springfield Mo.
    They have a product called Lubra-Seal which is for chains and hoppers along with coating undercarriage's and fittings.
    You can get info at their website. www.rhomar-industries.com
    or by calling them at 1-800-688-6221

:rolleyes: John...........

9. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Another vote for Lubra-Seal. I have used it, and it works great. It is very messy to work with. They recommend a pump sprayer to apply it, but I have found that is very wasteful, and a paint brush does a much neater job.

I got salter control wire extensions, so I could run the salter while it was up on crates, and not on the truck. Like I said, it's a messy job, and the Lubri-Seal sticks to paint.

Rhomar also makes a salt neutralizing wash, that you can use to clean off the salt before applying the Lubra-Seal.

Not exactly cheap, but cheaper than a new chain, and the labor to install it!

Forget WD-40 for long term, it will dry up.....

Don't forget to treat the spreader drive chains on the motor. I suggest a good chain lube, like PJ-1, or even Stihl Bar & Chain oil.

~Chuck

10. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

I contacted Rhomar Industries regarding Lubra-Seal.

Getting info faxed to me, also getting info on Neutro-Wash and Rhoma-Sol.

The Neutro-Wash

The Rhoma-Sol will remove/dissolve asphalt sprays and splatters on vechiles (my truck being white, I thought I'd get some, being diesel is a soil contaminant as defined by the EPA now).

I'll report back after I get the info.

Rick

11. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

Yes it is messy...

A paint brush "THAT'S A GOOD IDEA". I'll have to try that one

12. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i use chain lube designed for dirt bikes and it works great