1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Treated sand??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Emans_scapes, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Emans_scapes

Emans_scapes Member

We are currently brainstorming some ideas to cut back on the salt use. We have a couple hundred ton of bulk in the bin but it will be tight. We screen all of our own sand and we're wondering how effective sand sprayed with liquid calcium would work? Would it eliminate the sand from freezing in the box? Would it effectively melt anything off? It wouldn't be our primary ice melt, it would be more for trying to pull up alittle bit of hard pack during a storm. Thanks for any advice

2. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

we treated about 40 ton of rock salt last week with calcium and it work a lot better than straight salt, I would say you can use 60% less salt when its treated. was very impressed in the cold temps we have been having here.

3. Emans_scapes

Emans_scapes Member

Thanks. Yes I am aware of the benefits of treated salt. Most of our accounts are open 24/7 meanining there are 2,3, and sometimes 4 shift changes throughout a 24 hour period. We like to have the alleyways melted off some before shift changes. I was thinking the treated sand for during the course of a storm. There are a few big yards with constant forklift and semi traffic, thought maybe the sand with calcium might be an ok ice melt? With a little bit of traction. I could be way off too. I am not sure. That is why any advice is great.

4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Sand doesn't do anything. And as far as traction goes, it's good for 16-20 vehicles before it gets ground into the hardpack. As previously suggested I would treat my salt with liquid. As much as possible. As a muni going through the end of this winter our application rates have lowered but our liquid use is through the roof. Instead of 20 gallons a ton, I have drivers treating at 70 gallons per ton. That combined with a little sun (angle is greater now than in dec) the pavement temps warm up quick. I have had to go back and scrape some slop but my salt use is under control for the situation we are in.

5. Emans_scapes

Emans_scapes Member

Are you saying the concentration of calcium would not be enough to effectively melt anything off? We are not set up that well for liquid. We have 3 salt trucks out during the storm and using the sand would allow us To have all 3 out. One more question. And this may be a dumb question. When your treating your salt is that a calcium brine? Or straight calcium?

6. SnowMatt13

You can treat in many ways. It all depends on what works best and is most economical for you. Me personally (as a muni), I produce my own brine and blend it with GeoMelt55 (sugar beet) at a 80/20 rate (80 brine/20 GeoMelt55). That blend costs me .42 cents per gallon to produce currently. Getting into the chlorides would give better results at lower temperatures but it is not practical in my operation to do that. That blend takes me to zero pavement temperatures when in a pre-wetting setting. We anti-ice and pre-wet with the same blend. When we pre-wet we have tanks on the trucks that wet the salt in the auger trough. Other agencies and private side operations pre-wet their stockpile, they also pre-wet the load once the material is loaded on the truck.
    When you use let's say a 50/50 salt/sand mix I usually tell people they are half right. There are some benefits of sand, but my opinion is they are very, very limited. In my operation, I would rather throw 200 lbs/mi salt soaked in liquid than 400 lbs/mi of a 50/50 mix.

7. SnowMatt13

By the way, where in Wisconsin are you located??

8. Emans_scapes

Emans_scapes Member

Thanks for the info. We're in the fox valley. We are talking about buying a liquid system to pre wet salt on the truck for next year. We ordered 2100 tons of salt this year the most we ever have and only have 300 or so left. So we are just thinking of options to get us through the season.

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Sand doesn't hold the calcium well
    I run a limestone grit and it holds the treatment better best to do it during summer time so it has time to dry before you load it into a bin
    I have 2 bins one holds 30tons and other holds 15ton
    And Im on my 15ton bin as of now I hope it makes it till spring time

Helps on salt usage Like if we get black ice I'll run just the pretreated grit no salt
    I been doing this for 20 yrs or so

10. Emans_scapes

Emans_scapes Member

Thanks for the info. I think the treated sand or grit will come in handy when the temps start getting warmer and melting the piles and then re freezing at night. It's such a thin layer of ice that we could cut down on salt usage and use the pretreated sand or chips. We call "grit" chips in our neck of the woods. We chip all of our gravel lots after every storm.

11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

well grit is smaller then chip and bigger then sand

I have used chip but there to much waste come spring time people started to complain I switch to grit and the come spring time there isn't hardly anything to clean up whats there a leaf blower will blow it away into the grass

Yes thin layer of ice it works wonders and cold temps it helps the salt to work faster on pack snow
    The Customer can see it on pack snow

One tip only load it when you need it if you are running a chain V box It will eat the chain if left in to long

12. Emans_scapes

Emans_scapes Member

When you say grit are you talking screenings? 3/8-?