1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Treated salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Stud Bro, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

I'm new to the salting end of the business. I have plowed for years and this is the first year that i have had a salter truck. We use balk rock salt costs me $53.00 a yard delivered (is this a good price). I guess my question is what is the difference between rock salt and treated? How much dose treated cost? Witch one is better?
    Thanks for all the advice

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Treated salt is simply rock salt (could be bagged or bulk) that has had something applied to it which usually lowers it's freeze point and improves its melting capability in some way (depending on what it is "treated" with). Some treatments result in the salt being less corrosive because what it is treated with is noncorrosive and by saturating and coating the salt, the result is a less corrosive product. Since the freeze point is lowered, there is less "freeze/thaw cycle" which is the prime culprit in concrete damage. So the result is less damage to concrete. It will tend to not "burn" vegetation and is less irritating to pets' feet. However, some treatments have the opposite effect and are actually more corrosive than ordinary rock salt.

Cost varies, but is naturally more expensive than plain rock salt.

Better? Depends on what you're looking for (see first paragraph).

3. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

I'd just like to piggy back on Mick's reply. You can use less treated salt than straight salt typically. I'm amazed how far a couple shovel full's of magic salt can go on melting down a driveway.

4. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to look into it more for next season see as i have a massive pile of rock salt in the back right now.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

you can get it treated if you can find someone to spray the pile for you. Then that pile will go farther.

6. Mick

from Maine

Check with these guys. See if they can come and treat your pile. Takes about 8 gallons of Magic -0 per ton. Sprayed on your pile. You'll need a loader to turn the pile as they spray it.

http://www.magicsalt.info/Dealers - WI.htm

7. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

Yes, it's a great price! I pay $83/ton up here, and that's if I pick it up myself!

8. Mick

from Maine

Not necessarily. You're mixing tons and yards. If we accept a yard of salt weighs 1350 lbs; then a he's paying $78.52 a ton - not significantly less than you. Then we need to consider where it was shipped or trucked to its final destination. I would think salt in Wisconsin is less than salt in VT.

9. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

True, you are right. I don't know why I was thinking that a yard = a ton :dizzy: