1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Treated Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by clark lawn, Dec 19, 2005.

1. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

does anyone know if treated salt can be used in a talgate spreader without a vibrator kit? Thinking of buying some instead of bags all night long

2. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Doesn't work very well. We have tried it.

3. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

I Use Bulk In One Of Our Spreaders It Is A Sand Load By Lesco ,it Is Originally A Snowex They Sell It To Lesco And Put Their Name On It,it Is A Bin Spreader For Pickups And Such But It Also Has An Auger And A Vibrator On It It Is A Nice Spreader.its Brand New But We Are Going To Cut A Hole In The Outside Somehow To Get To Auger If We Need .only Hung Up One Time So Far ,we Have Spread About Twenty Tons Through It Last Year And About Fifteen So Far This Year It Is Nice Just Wish It Was A Little Bigger.no Meyer Or Western We Have Can Hang With It.

4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

this is a snow ex 575 is that the same as yours?

5. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I tried it to and it would work OK when i mixed that with reguar rock salt. The vibrator kit will be worth it though.

6. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

the sand pro 1875 works best

7. little pat

little pat Member

Get the vibator, it will save a lot of headaches. Stay away from magic salt though, it freezes in the hopper and you're done. Some of the other treated products may work better.

8. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Can you explain this statement a little more?? What kind of spreader were you trying to run Magic through??

9. little pat

little pat Member

Hey Jeff, We had magic freeze up in 2 Snowex 1075s, 1 Snowex 1875, 1 Saltdog and a Western V Box. We stored the magic in an unheated garage and it froze in there also. We stored covered buckets of magic for sidewalks and they were also frozen. I still have some left from last year that has been stored in a garage and it has frozen this year. After the experience we had with it last year, I would never trust their product again.

10. Hey Pat, its not the Magic that is bad it is the wet salt. We got a load of Iceban up here solid as a rock. It was wet when they sprayed it. Ya just can't have salt that is wet and spray it. I would not want to keep salt in a hopper overnight unless it was heated. Problems...
    Sorry

11. little pat

little pat Member

It may have been a problem of wet salt but we had the salt delivered already mixed with the magic. The distributor did nothing to help us with the problem, in fact, they gave us the run around. I don't want to deal with companies that don't stand behind the product they sell. As far as keeping salt in the hopper overnight, not sure where you got that from.

12. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I was just curious. I have been using Magic for 3 years now and have had excellent results but I went through the same senerio as you when I first tried Magic and this is what I found.

1. You can't leave Magic in the spreader overnight or even for an extended period of time. You must empty it after each use. I keep my truck in a heated garage and the Magic will crust over even if in a heated garage so I empty it out after each use. Once I started doing this I elimintated my problems of the v-box jambing up.

2. The truck in which the Magic is being delivered in must be CLEANED out after a snow storm before they fill it with the product. **

3. Magic will crust over when it gets real cold. I keep approx. 25 ton in an outside storage garage so it is outside but it is totally enclosed. We have to dig into the pile and bust up the outer crust when the Temperature gets into below zero numbers with the backhoe but you can still dig into the middle of the pile and get good material if you don't have the time to bust the crust. You also need to periodically go out to your pile and fluff it up to get the magic-0 which has settled to the bottom back evenly distributed throughout the pile or else you end up with VERY wet product at the bottom of the pile instead of a more even mixture throughout.

4. You need to make sure whatever spreader you have is designed to spread wet material. I found out after the fact that my Sno-ex mini 575 was not meant to have wet material spread through it so anyone who wants to use Magic that is reading this needs to make sure they purchase a spreader designed to spread wet material.

**My first two truck loads I had the freeze problem exerience like you did and was ready to give up on the product. What I finally discovered after my second load (because I climbed up high enough so I could look right into the back of the truck and watch the load being dumped and saw the 3" thick ice ring around the edges of the inside of the dump body that had been melted away by the product during transit) was that the private trucking firm that was hired to haul the Magic for the distributor was not cleaning the snow out of the backs of the trucks before loading them with Magic. Both times we had snowfalls of approx. 10" the day before delivery. They just dumped the Magic into the back of the truck, and that 10" of snow melted and diluted the product so much that it made the product freeze up. After the second truckload like this I stopped purchasing the Magic from this company and bought straight salt from a different place to finish out the year. There is now a new distributor in my area and I told them about my experiences. I believe they keep there Magic stored inside and make sure their trucks are cleaned out after a snowstorm before they load them and they will not even deliver it to me if it is raining or snowing out.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005