1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Treated Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Doug Montanari, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Doug Montanari

Doug Montanari Member

Looking for some input between snow slicer and clearlane have never used either

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

For what application?

3. SnowGuy73

More info is needed.

4. Doug Montanari

Doug Montanari Member

as a replacement to regular bulk salt

5. SnowGuy73

Clearlane works in lower temps adheres to pavement better, and is only $8.00 more per ton as opposed to strait salt.

I use clearlane exclusively and I'm seeing better results, not much added cost, and the little added cost I do have is easy to pass on to the customers.

Deicerpro will chime in here with more info I'm sure.

6. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping Senior Member

I've user both clearlane and slicer. I prefer the slicer. On normal nights I'll use regular rock but if it's lower than 20 I prefer slicer. It throws nicely, leaves a coating on the pavement that lasts longer and is just an overall better salt. Definitely worth the price. Any specific questions about either? I've used both within the last week

7. Doug Montanari

Doug Montanari Member

are you able to reduce the rate with either product? looking for a little residual from the product also which have you seen a better residual from?

8. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

^^^^^^listen to this guy. For the extra $$ per ton I would use treated exclusively. I'm familiar with clearlane and I just looked up snow slicer and believe them to be identical. Different colors, different claims to effectiveness but both probably very similar and only differing because of location and/or manufacturers. Sure you can make your own brine but for only $8-ish extra, why waste your time..? Because clearlane is more than likely treated with a sodium brine(maybe a few other enhancements. .) I wouldn't expect more than a 30%+- reduction in material usage. I'm skeptical that anyone uses a mag brine for pre treating and we will never know as everyone guards their "proprietary" mixes...

9. SnowGuy73

I knew I'd hear from you on this! Thanks Deicepro!

10. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping Senior Member

I personally saw a better residual from slicer but i have spread a considerable amount more of it than clearlane. There's a bit of material savings but I still probably lay too much so I don't really notice the savings. I noticed slicer and clearlane don't freeze up in spreaders as easily as regular bulk. Slicer is especially easy to break back down if it does freeze

11. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

We've used both this year I prefer the slicer. Seems to work better in the cold temps weve been having and will usially slightly hold off small dustings. Both have a spotty immediate activation I've noticed but the rest of the lot is usually soon to follow. No real savings in material (besides being able to go a little lighter on quick dustings post salting-see earlier part of post) per conplete application at least not noticeable. But I tend to apply on the heavy side to avoid return trips #1 b/c they make you look like you didn't do it right in the first place. #2 who really enjoys return trips? Lol

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014