1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Treated salt - do you guys run it all the time

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JimMarshall, Feb 7, 2016.

1. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

For the guys using magic salt, Clearlane, etc - do you use it exclusively? Or do you stock both it and untreated and choose which to use based on conditions?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Only thing we use is treated, bagged regular, and calcium

3. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I use straight bulk always and prewet at the spinner if needed for colder temps. No sense in spending extra to treat when it's 25 and sunny.

4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I switched to treated late last season.I use it all the time,I get 22 ton deliveries and store it inside.If I had more room I would probably store some untreated. I pay 18$ more per ton so its not a big deal money wise, but when its warmer I feel like I'm wasting $$$.It's hard to put less down when you're used to spreading straight for 25 yrs at a certain rate.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Always, and it is not a waste of money no matter what the temps are. Assuming you know what you're doing.

6. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

On my spreader, I have speed selections of 1-9 for the auger and 1-9 for my spinner. Spinner runs anywhere from setting 2-4 depending on how wide a swath I want to hit, but my auger is set on speed setting 1 almost 98% of the time, so for me, I can't use any less than I already due. So for me, unless it's cold, treated is a waste of money because it doesn't allow me to cut the amount I am putting down and still get the same results. I already am putting down the bare minimum. :waving:

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

My spreaders don't even work on 1. Spinners either.

8. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I definitely need to upgrade my spreaders to where I can have an adjustable spinner/auger. These drag chain gas models definitely don't have enough adjustment.

What kind of average salt usage/acre is everyone at, particularly the guys using treated stuff

9. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Good question.One of these days I should check my usage.I've been spreading so long I just do it by feel.I would say I'm on the heavy side.The results are good so I think I'm doing ok lol