1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Treated bulk salt "Slicer"

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by grsp, Sep 29, 2011.

1. grsp

grsp Member
    from indiana

Here is my dilema. I service some accounts in the next town over (about a 20 minute drive). The salt route requires a couple more tons than my truck (chevy 4500) can hold. My salt "salesman" has told me that i would use almost 20% less treated bulk salt, a product he called "slicer", than standard bulk salt. Now the slicer product is 20% more per ton, so i won't be saving a whole lot on product. But if the facts are accurate that you use 20% less salt, I could get that salt route done with one trip. Thats where my big savings would happen.

From the guys that have actually used that product, is it true? Do you find yourself using a significant amount less of treated bulk salk, than standard bulk slat?

2. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Not sure what "slicer" contains, but last couple of years I started using salt treated w/ magnesium chloride, which has a green looking color. My cost was $10 more per ton over that of basic bulk salt. All and all, I've been really happy w/ the product. I use a little less material, is more effective in colder temps, and seams to leave some residual film behind on the pavement, which sometimes makes it that much easier on my following round of application & helps to minimize snow pack. There is also a lot more forgiveness w/ it not hardening up in the bed of the truck/spreader. Downside, wash your truck often or it will eat it faster.

3. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

Central's Slicer is awesome.

I use it almost exclusively.
    i wouldnt say you use 20% less, but you get lot less call backs/freezebacks. it works amazingly fast, like before you leave the site its wet depending on site size.

you can use less but i never saw a significant change. Also you get probably 10-20% less volume because Slicer is heavier because its induced with a liquid product. but i feel it is worth the added money. when its -5 below out and your lots are wet and the neighbor salts his twice and is still spotty, or you burn 3/4 of an in avoiding a plow on seasonal stuff. its Purple $$$$.

they also claim less wear and abuse on equip. i havent witnessed that, but i havent noticed the opposite either, ive been using Slicer the last 3 years almost exclusively.

Nate

4. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

If you have to drive 20mins during good condition... its prob close to 35-40 mins or more during the snow storm....Right? maybe not...

If that were me i would take my kodiak out there ad dump like 6 tons of salt in the back and cover it. Then just load it up when you need it... This works well if you already have a skidsteer or loader on site.

Treated salts not going to get you much farther.... Try liquid. Thats actually what we have on our kodiak pickup. A big 550 gallon tank that sprays either one or 2 lanes.
    This year we will be placing 5 2k tanks in our lots for easy filling. So we dont have to go (20 mins) to the shop to fill up again.

ALSO it seems like that green rock salt is just liquid crystalized... Liquid works in lower temps than regular rock and prevents bonding to the surface. LOVE IT

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  5. bpersichetti

bpersichetti Sponsor

Thanks for the great recommendations on our Snow Slicer Product.

Here is a link to the product info sheet. http://www.centralsalt.com/snowslicer.htm

SnowSlicer will now be available from our rock salt mine in Lyons, KS as well as from our depots in Chicago, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh.

Give us a call if you need more information and pricing. 847-608-8130.