1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

treat r/s with CaCl?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snowman55, Dec 15, 2008.

1. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

anyone treating their road salt with Calcium chloride? We have been trying both mixing dow pellets in and treating with a 32% CaCl brine. with temps in the -5 range for a high I am hoping this helps. Tried magic and had poor results.

2. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

You can use the pellets but spraying with the 32% will give you better coverage. Use approximately 4-8 gallons per ton. Anything over 8 will run off pretty quickly.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I think 10 -15 at min, at 4 I don't think you'd even notice it.

4. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

I mix cal pellets with rock salt in the spreader 33-50%, but don't notice much difference. I did this yesterday with the temps at 10F and sunny skies and it didn't melt much. I think you need to spray the rock with cal for better results.

5. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

you coat the R/S with liquid so that when you spread it, the sand melts into the ice a little so it will not blow away. mixing bulk with R/S will not achieve this goal.

6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

we're going to spray the salt in our trucks with beet juice tonight, just picked it up today, this will be our first attempt with anything of the sort..... any tips?

7. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

Ask Power Joke. He has talked about it in several threads.

8. Ditchdiggin

Ditchdiggin Member

How did it work? Where do you get the beet juice and how much per ton are you spraying on the road salt?