1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Treadwright Guard Dogs or Wardens

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DFLS, Jan 3, 2012.

1. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

[​IMG]
    By dmfetz at 2012-01-03

I have been using Uniroyal Laredo H/D 235/85 R16, studded tires, pictured above.
    Now looking for new winter tires, narrowed down to Treadwright Wardens or Guard Dogs, both with Kedge Grip. No more studs due to scratching driveways...

Warden:
    [​IMG]
    Guard Dog:
    [​IMG]

We constantly go thru deep snow and piles of snow while plowing unlike most people that just drive on the road. I use a back plow and have to back over the pile from the back plow every time I make one. I know that lots of sipes are better for traction for slippery surfaces (like the Wardens) but a narrower design is better for deeper snow. Is the deep open lug design of the Guard Dog better for the conditions we plowers encounter? I am leaning towards the Guard Dogs. Also going to a slightly larger tire, from 235/85 to 265/75. Could also pick up a siping tool and add some sipes to the Guard Dog...

2. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I am very happy with the Wardens, comparable to BFG A/T's. I plow a lot of snow. 265/75R16 load range E. Took a week to wear in after wandering all over, but otherwise great.

3. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

wardens would be my choice also.

4. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Guard dogs on my winter only trucks, Warden on my year around,

5. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

what size are you gonna go with????did u get some yet

6. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

i have 285 75 16 e wardens and ive been happy with them

7. Elite_Maint

Elite_Maint Senior Member

I'm using GENERAL GRABBER AT2 tires on my truck they look similar to the Wardens... I'm happy with them. The Guard Dog i think would be to noisy and your fuel mileage will probably be worse.