1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Traveling to plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Would any one ever travel lets say, oh 100-300 miles away to plow out a city which typically doesn't get more than 12" of snow a year when they were dumped on with a very significant snow fall.
  2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

not with the rig i currently have but with something else and being properly compensated for my time and travel i would go for it. especially if i had nothing else going on
  3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

One hundred miles yes three hundred no.
  4. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Ive considered looking to sub in the ohio indiana belt areas south of me because it seems often they get bombed when we get nothing here in southern mi.

As a backup of course as I have duties here if it snows here but the answe to your question is yes. But like mentioned....not 300 miles.
  5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i would travel 100 miles if we had absolutely nothing else to do. probably only take a few pickups though. it would be too much of a hassle to take the loaders and spreader trucks. it would have to pay very very well, otherwise i'd rather stay at home and play with my girlfriend and let the guys draw unemployment checks.
  6. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Brian, several of the Erie guys, myself included have made the treak to NJ and MD to plow after the storm hits us or if it misses us. Got a couple of contacts that pay $100-150 per plow hour depending on the rig you run and experience. All marked and staked lots or open lot plowing. 10-20 hrs most storms of plowing and cleanup in a major storm. When we get a call from them for extra trucks I call guys here that have extra coverage on routes and they usually break someone off or they go. Sometimes they get paid travel time one way and hotel room.

7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I'd try to make arrangements to travel with the plows in the beds of the trucks and put them on there. That long a haul you're going to make alot of heat and burns some sreious gas along the way.
  8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys & gals -- new to the forum here

This topic is something I'd thought about several times before. The northeast is just like many other regions of the country -- snow in the south when we have nothing in the north. I agree with the general consensus here that a good contract work setup would be something to consider (basically we go IF all trucks & guys aren't being hammered here in the home region). I wonder how larger contractors would feel, though, about this limited availability? Maybe they would share my philosophy that getting the work done faster (ie: more trucks) would be in the best interest of clients AND ultimately my business, so the "occasional" help isn't depended on but it's certainly welcomed when it comes.

Definitely run trucks with plows in the beds to the location.

I am primarily residential with a few commercials mixed in. Sure the residential client base can be more frustrating, but I've been fortunate to weed out the problem ones.
  9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Not me, I don't even like driving 20 miles to a couple of my properties.

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

Its Not Worth It To Me.
  11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You want to be sure your insurance doesn't put a restiction on you. When I started, my service area was limited to a 50 radius from my "office". That's been lifted, but still not sure about out of state. One thing would be, since I have commercial tags and would be traveling for business purpose, would DOT regulations apply? Like DOT #, medical card, log book etc. At least I think you'd need the DOT number for State fuel tax portionment. I know when I registered the truck, one of the questions was if I'd be taking the truck out of State.
  12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I'm not saying as a business, just driving there to plow out tons of driveways etc. I don't think I would but its something I have thought about over the past few years. You hear and see cities like Baltimore, Virginia, etc. getting dumped on and every one is out with shovels trying to shovel 2+ feet of snow, I would think you would clean house even if you only were charging $30.00 per driveway.
  13. Mick

from Maine

If you charge for a service, you ARE in business. This is how some people get in trouble real quick - doing business in a "foreign" area. Taxi drivers, for instance, who take someone to the airport in another town, then pick up a "quick one" or someone going back to their town. You could get in trouble just plowing "as a favor" if you're not from the area.
  14. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I think that's bull. There are no restrictions (that I know of) were you plow to help out and make some money.payup If Maine got dumped on and I went to your area to make some money I would say you would be out of line to stop me. I personally would never do it but no one can stop me.

I once was very temped to help out a family member on Cape Cod 3 years ago when the 200' dead end street they lived on wasn't plowed for 3 days. I offered but they had power and plenty of food so I waited till they say OK come. After 3 days they finally came, so I was off the hook.
  15. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Ofcourse you can cross state lines to plow. We have no plow unions and we are not regulated by states. But check with your insurance company. The split policies into three types--short 50 miles or less medium 300 miles or less and long distance over 300 miles and you have to select what states you run in. That is the way truck insurance are setup. So be weary of long distance it could cost you a fortune
  16. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Depends...maybe "Up North" can back me up on this one, but in our town there are signs posted directly beneath the population signs that state you must have a city permit to conduct business inside the city limits. I'm not sure off the top of my head the exact wording but the meaning is there. If you are offering a product or service in exchange for payment you must have a permit from the city. How this is enforced? Is there a fee? I don't run my own business so I can't offer the specifics. IMO you should check with your insurance and then make a call to the city hall where you are going; asking a quick question might save a lot of fine dollars.
  17. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

The day I travel 100-300 miles to plow snow, lock me the hell up. If you can't make money where you are park the truck or sell the plow. All ya need is a breakdown 300 miles away.
    Maybe I'm way off base but that's how I see it.

18. Mick

from Maine

Which part is "bull"? Yes, there are restrictions in some places. Sometimes by state law; sometimes by city ordinance. The IRS requires any income to be reported on your tax form. I'm not saying it's wrong or right by what you would do or what someone thinks. I'm saying by the law. I'm not saying I would stop you; I'm saying there are legalities to consider before you just run off to another area and start plowing.
  19. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

OK I'll go with you on this one.. You analogy kind of sounded like the taxi guys would gang up on the new driver.. Mohamid.. hold him down while I pull off his turban and kick his but! LOL Or the Maine plow guys would kick but on the out of towner!:gunsfiring:

I never thought of the law / insurance part. Just my situation plowing out my a family member away from home. If it ever happens again I'll go anyway or I'll just post a "help posting" in the area and I bet a member would have plowed it for me a favor, Fuel cost alone would have been outrageous. It be worth it to have a member help me out.

So I guess it would be OK as long as insurance Co. is OK with it and the town/city ect.
  20. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Here they have an city ordinence here that says you must have a liscence but they don't enforce it unless someone complains. Insurance companies is another thing too, my insurance would cost more to do business out of state. Also, if you travel out of state, you need a USDOT # on your truck. Again the likely hood of being fined is slim but insurance is my biggest concern.