1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Traveling speed with plow on?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Superior L & L, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Is this too fast to drive with your plow on??? It was snowing and i had to get to my next account. truck was a little shaky but i made it

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

do you have a radar detector in the truck?? thats fast!!!
  3. MOXIE

MOXIE Member

117mph @ 2500rpm? looks like a 1/2 ton GM. I thought all the new trucks were
    governed to 95mph. MOXIE
  4. horsepowerlawns

horsepowerlawns Member

Why did you let off so soon?
  5. Pushin_On

Pushin_On Junior Member

To fast? naaa, thats average plowin speed, Snowblower? naaa, who needs one.
  6. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

Hmmm, your wife and kids you mentioned in another thread will love that pic if and when you crash and burn. Hope you were on a road by yourself.
  7. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

Wow am I sure glad i dont live in IN, or Michigan, i really hope this is some sort of joke. Excellent way to get yourself locked up and not drive again for a loooooong time.
  8. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

lol that lightning is registered for 148 stock. I hope your aren't serious about running that fast with a plow on your truck, thats just retarted, theres no account worth that risk.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You guy's should fix those things.

The tach is a dead give away in the 1st pic. @ 120 you would almost be red lining it.

Same with the one @140 except your other gauges show the key was off or arnt working either.
  10. horsepowerlawns

horsepowerlawns Member

The pick I posted is real, but not me. I do have a Lightning, but am not that stupid.

If you look at the gauge on the right, that is the boost gauge and shows about 11psi of boost.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  11. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I had the spedometers on both my trucks (04 2500 and an 05 2500) go out the same day. Freaky. Still warrantied though so no prob. I go in to the dealer and tell the service manager, he calls in a mechanic and says "so this guy is plowing at 120mph" Mechanic laughs and says, "right, order him a cluster".

Cute though. I was going to ask if that was while you were plowing or just on the road :D
  12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

That is foolishness if that is a true speed on any public road. Tell him to watch a few truck races where at that speed the lift even on a curve can be deadly.
  13. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I am pretty sure he had his plow on. That should counter any of the lift :nod:
  14. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

One thing I learned cruising the autobahn in Germany, there is no upper limit to the cruise control on American cars. I did 146mph once on cruise, just for fun. Scary to think about it.
  15. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

U got it on the cluster! At parked my speedo was reading 80 and the truck was not moving. In the pick i was doing about 60 (check rpms) but since it started at 80 then it was showing 120.

Oh and no plow on realy and no plow account is worth doing 70 never mind 120 if the roads are bad!

But it was a good little post for a while.
  16. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i do 120 with the plow down...it throws snow into the next zip code
  17. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

Glad to hear it. :nod:
  18. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

ive had my 05 ram 1500 do 110 on the NH speedway track. seemed to ride well lol
  19. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

How'd you get on the track? I've had an old F150 at 70 on a 1/4 mile circle track and thought that was fast.
  20. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Yea, but then you have Cummins Power!

120 in a 2500? Thats slow...... My 7,500 lb. 2500 on 35's w/3.54 gears with a straight 6 cylinder with 330,000 miles on the clock runs 130 mph...close to 4k rpm I beleive, i don't really study the gauges much once I get over 110 though haha...
    as far as speeding with plow, if i go over 80 and the wind is just right it starts to lift the blade just a little... I don't have an old school chain lift though, so I don't worry bout it flipping up, it would have to blow a hydraulic line or fitting to do that, had that happen last Tuesday I hit a stack at 20mph didn't realize the stack was frozen (from a previous storm) and blew the fitting right out of the cylinder from the burst of pressure..... not good....