1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Travel with wings on or off?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by danielboone, Nov 15, 2011.

1. danielboone

danielboone Junior Member

Do you recommend traveling with the wings on or off? Obviously the bad is that for me I am 10 foot wide if my blade is set straight. The good is you don't have to keep taking them on and off. Maybe it just depends on the type of roads you are on and or how far you are going. Another option would be to leave only one on. Being a rookie I would lean towards off at least at first. Is it legal without an oversized load permit? I just checked out the Missouri oversized permit law and it says 8'6" although I am not sure what 10' at an angle comes to.
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Take the 30 seconds to remove them. If you damage a car, you'll be wishing you had.
  3. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

i usually have mine on i just keep the plow angled. alot depends on what time of the day when im out at night and plowing i keep them on if its in the daytime i keep the one on the right on, its realy personal preference. Of course i love the guys with the 9' 2 " v plows with wings now those are wide
  4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a set of wings on an 8 foot plow, which I am assuming is the same as you have. It puts me just under 10 foot wide. As Banksy said, I leave them on during night time hours, more like 12am to 5 am or so. Any other time, I take them off while traveling between jobs. Here in Ohio we have a pretty lax ODOT, but other states have strict ones, so I guess it's up to you on how you want handle it.
  5. Lazy John

Lazy John Junior Member

Definitely recommend taking those off buddy. You'll wish you had. Better safe than sorry.
  6. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

I agree with others, in the dead of night I would leave them on, but anywhere busy (ie downtown at night) or during the day I would just take them off, better safe then sorry.
  7. cvwhr

cvwhr Member

If you are running an 8' lot pro with straight wings it will be 9'4'' when angled if you have adjustable wings just box them and you will be about 7'4'' when angled, if their not adjustable take thwem OFF.
  8. Rain Man

Rain Man Senior Member

Take them off, a friend of mine hit a curb at about 35 mph, turned the wing into a pretzel. Needless to say he never drives with them on anymore!
  9. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

get a wideout =]
  10. CoastalSnow&Ice

CoastalSnow&Ice Junior Member

x2!!!!Thumbs Up
  11. Indy

Indy Senior Member

strobes and slow down, 2 years no issues
  12. broncscott

broncscott Member

I run a M9 Meyer plow with custom wings making it 11' wide. Even with the plow angled approaching cars rub the edge on country 2 lanes. I am going to make wings like the new adjustable Meyers to make it safer.
  13. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not sure I can really grasp the concept of how strobes prevent you from hitting a curb or a car in another lane swiping you? In addition to that, strobes while driving are illeagle in most areas.
    Yes slowIng down will help but just take the wings off between 0600 and 1900.
  14. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

The DOT and local police are pretty cool with it around here. I have a 7.5 blade. I left mine on 90% with no problems. But extra caution is required when traveling between jobs, no question about it.
  15. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

i take mine off when i go to the bank
  16. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Local travel during storm absolutely. The 450's are over 11' wide with the wings on so a bit intimidating at first but you get used to pretty quick.