1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Travel Time

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chris Lemonds, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Chris Lemonds

Chris Lemonds Junior Member

Was wondering what you guys charge for travel time. Plus a few employees in the truck. Riding, say 30-45 minutes each way.:dizzy:
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Welcome to plowsite Chris:waving:

I figure the travel time in with the estimate when I bid a job. For instance I picked up another account Saturday. It's a small parking lot so I figured I could have it done in 30min. or less. Also, it will take me at least 15min. to get there from the nearest account. I charged $75.00 for the lot and figured $25.00 to get there. I gave the guy an estimate for $100.00 and he signed it on the spot.:bluebounc
    Also, when my sidewalk guy is riding with me in between jobs, he's not getting paid until he starts the snowblower.

Good luck!:waving:
  3. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

Which brings up a good point. If I use a sidewalk person that uses his own snowblower/shovel, could I treat him as an independent contractor rather than an employee? If you don't pay him unless on the job, wouldn't that be the same thing?
  4. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

The IRS has some strict rules re: ind contractor status. Some of the criteria include, can he set his own hours, does he have his own vehicle and equipment. Your accountant can give you the info. I saw it in the form of an IRS circular once.
  5. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

So basically, I can treat him as an independent since it is his blower and he can work whether he wants to or not. He is riding with me because I am happening to go the same way. At least this is my interpretation.
  6. apkole

apkole Member

Have a conversation with your accountant! You can call it anything you want, but your w/c insurance carrier and the IRS will tell you what their interpretation is when the time comes. And believe me when I say, you will be compelled to see it their way. Might as well get it right from the beginning, 'cause it can get downright expensive if you don't.

The "I see it this way" argument does not hold up in a court of law. The accurate interpretation of and compliance with the law is your best route.

We use subcontractors for our business. I give them a route list and a phone call when we hit our trigger. Beyond that, they are on their own, as in thier own equipment, own schedule, own repairs, and for all of them they have a few of their own accounts. The best proof of a subcontractor definition is, absent the work he does for you, would he be a viable or functional business. It's not the only proof, but is a solid indicator. I like our subs to have their own customers as it solidly puts them into the sub category and locks them out of the employee category.

7. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

You sound like a great "Boss". You feel your time is worth something when going to a job, but your blower operator is worth nothing unless he's working. :nono:
  8. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Good point Joey D ! If you want an employee to respect you, be fair to them.
  9. The Boss

The rate I pay him while he's working covers the traveltime. Plus I buy all meals.
    By the way, he uses my euipment. Why should I pay him to ride in the truck for 16 hours when it only takes 7-8 hours to do walks for all my accounts.?
  10. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Why add $25 to a job like you said?

and figured $25.00 to get there.

Sounds like time is only valuable when it's yours.:nono:
  11. Hiwire

Hiwire Member

It sounds like he is tied up for a lot of hours but only paid for a few. He is still at your disposal during that drive time. We just went through this with my boss a couple yrs ago. When doing jobs that are 1/2 hr or more from the shop, he wanted to not pay us until we arrived on the job but he would allow us to take his truck towing a bobcat to get there. I say that riding in a truck of any kind on the highway is one of the riskiest parts of our work, whether its a plow truck or a dump truck towing a trailer, Im going to get paid for every minute that I am doing a job for the company or taking a risk for them. If the man is a good worker and doing a decent job for you, and hes always there when you need him, dont cheap out and pocket all that "travel money". Give him his cut too. ... Just the view from here.
  12. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

When I am in my company truck, I am getting paid. I have it at my house and get paid to travel to the jobs.
  13. The Boss

What do you guys pay your sidewalk person(s)?

I have one friend and I pay him $15.00 per hour plus I buy his meals when we take a dinner break.
  14. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

IRS would consider him/her an EMPLOYEE. He/she has to be independant of your company ie: using his/her own equipment to complete a job. That includes his/her transportation.

You hold the contract & sub work to them...they supply all equipment and materials to complete the job.
  15. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

BOSS, $15/hr is what I pay my brother who does sidewalks/snowblowing for me. I also pay for meals. I think its a good rate, plus he loves working in the snow.:drinkup:
  16. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

The only way I could see not paying him travel time is if he was paid by the job and happy with it. I am my own sidwalk person so I pay myself wellpayup
  17. KatWalk

KatWalk Member

Your next reply after this one states that you pay your snowblower/sidewalk guy $15 per hour. "rate I pay him covers travel time".... If I got paid $15 an hour for 8 hours work but was there for 16 hours that sounds like $7.50 an hour to me. It would be my pleasure to spend ten bucks on a guy for dinner if he busted ass on the walks as a cruised in the truck!!!! The other quote to look at..."I have one friend".....if you paid more you might have more friends. Just kidding!!!!
  18. The Boss

Katwalk, first of all, I've tried putting alot of my friends to work for me but their all dumbasses. The ONE friend that does work for me loves the snow and he's familiar with all my accounts.

And by the way, the reason he's with me all that time is because he loves being away from his girlfriend.:)
    She's a real B----.
  19. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

I always pay from the minute they get in the truck until the end of the shift . I usually get some of the solo work done first. I pick up meals and snacks along the way. Pay them $10. flat and sometimes a kicker if the snow is heavy. Usually the shoveler is with me for at least 12 hours and "work" for 3-5 hours max. It's worth it for the company and I never get complainers.
  20. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

I forgot to mention travel time. For anything that is more than 10 minutes I figure in travel time starting at 15 minutes segments using my regular hourly average charge. Never had a problem with regular customers. I've had customers recruit new accounts so I'd cut the travel time accordingly