1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Travel time pay. Who does it?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Scott183, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Scott183

Scott183 Junior Member

I have an odd question, but I can't be the first to ask it. Some of my drivers live a half hour or more from there lots that they do, depending on the storm or time they have to go out it may be shorter or longer. When I received one of my workers hours sheet, I noticed he's writing down the hours starting when he's leaving his home to get to his first lot as opposed to when he arrived. In all the jobs I ever worked, no one ever payed me to drive there. How do the rest of you handle this. The particular driver is driving my truck home on my fuel and leaving from his house. I don't think he "clocks in" until he arrives at his first lot. What say you?
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

When I had a job they didn't pay me to drive to work or home every day.
    If you live 1/2 hr from work that is your issue.

I only pay by the lot not the hr and no travel time.
    if you want to work you will go to work.

I dont pay you so you can stop at Timmies and shoot the breeze with GV and Randy.

so to summarize, i only pay for production.
  3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

home to start of first job and end of last job to home is off the clock.

travel time from jobs in between first and last jobs is on the clock.
  4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

To whose advantage is it that he's taking the truck home? If its putting him closer to the first job, and on the ready for when you call him out I see no reason why you shouldn't pay him travel to the job. If he was starting out at your shop, and driving to a job, you would pay him from the time he left the shop.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If he's a sub with his truck ,the clock starts when he gets in it,including all stops at Timmy's.I'd rather pay for those few extra minutes to a guy that is reliable then to someone who isn't.
  6. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Employees who report to shop get paid from the time they arrive at shop until the time they get back to shop upon route completion.

Employees who take company trucks home and sub contractors get paid from the time they get in the truck (at their house) until their last lot is completed. They do not get paid to drive back home.
  7. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I pay per Job and will deduct if I get called and have to go clean up there mess.
    I don't get call backs and they get paid well.
  8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

hahaah your to cheep to do that....

so in his bid he put in travel time and lunch in it.

gee that lot will kake 1hr but i have to drive 2mi to get to it and stop for a timmies, that will be 1&1/2 hr to do that job.:laughing:

There a subcontractor not a employee.
    You can take them to lunch, but your not going to pay him to do his personal business.
    do you also pay him to fix his equipment,
    why not?
    it's part of getting to the job.....

well at least 'im not going to do it.
  9. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Same deal here, drive there paid, home not. Reason for that I used to pay to and from but guys would take extra stops and get paid for it.
  10. grandview

All in the bid. In the old days when I plowed for someone we would start the trucks up and go back inside and have a few beers before we headed out, on the clock of course.
  11. Scott183

Scott183 Junior Member

I think this is the fairest way to do it. He's burning up a few extra gallons of fuel, which I don't mind because he's been with me a long time, however I let him pick up his girlfriend on occasion, and he's not the fastest guy in the world. He can leave from the shop and get paid from there or paid from the time he arrives at his first lot, can't have it both ways. I do have a sub that also works for me, and I do pay from the time he rolls out until he's done with his last lot. I appreciate most of the responses I got here, thanks.
  12. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

actually consult your lawyer/accountant/insurance carrier since state laws vary. It really depends on how you classify the employee and where the truck is based. In some cases you will find out that you should be deducting mileage from the employee for his personal travel to and from work. And if the driver has a accident on the way to Timmies on a non event day, who pays for that. And heaven forbid, the driver has a accident on the way to work and his kid goes through the windshield(he was dropping the kid off at grandmom's on his way.) Sometimes it is easier to not say anything and plead ignorance then to ask the question and try to do something the right way
  13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

The driver has the advantage, he can plow his driveway, his folks, etc.... Maybe even do some side work too.
    Pay him when he gets to the 1st property and stop paying when he finishes the last property.
  14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

He's not a SUB contractor if he is taking your truck home.
    He's your employee unless he is leasing the truck from you.
    Your insurance your employee.

Now your paying him from the time he starts the truck to the time he shuts it off,
    Less 1/2 hr for lunch or dinner.
    You could pay a lower rate for travel time also.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

When I subed he would buy lunch, breakfast or dinner but on our time.
    If I stopped plowing in the middle of the lot and went away,
    I didn't get paid, as I bid on finish clearing the lot I bid on to complete in a timely manner.
    Job not completed= no $

On the way to the next job , I'm on my time.
    I could plow a resi or 2 of mine on my way to the next lot
    I'm clearing as a sub contractor.

I bid my day out, down time is on me.
    I only get paid for completed work.
  16. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I add 10 minutes travel time on the Front and Back End of each account
  17. Scott183

Scott183 Junior Member

I try to keep it informal to an extent. If my guys have been out there working for me for 12+ hours and we happen to meet for a meal, I usually pick up the tab. I have one guy who literally will mark down when he starts and finishes a property to the exact minute. He's the one I'll give the extra 20 minutes- 1/2 hour to come pay day.
  18. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

our employees clock in when they leave and clock out when they finish their last property. which reminds me i should remind them that that's how it is to make sure theyve been doing it
  19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Maybe I should clarify.
    When I " subed" I was really a employee as defined by the IRS.
    He paid by the Hr, and we drove our own trucks, and had our own ins.

I never need to repair my truck and I didn't trash tranneys.
    Ya went just fast enough so he wasn't squawking over the CB.
    Who cared how many lots ya cleared you were getting paid by the hr
    to plow.

That's a far cry from being a real contractor that I am today.

The clock didn't start until I dropped the blade and started push'en
    It stopped when you lifted the plow at the end of the job.

If he was around he would keep time on you also.
    And your times had better jive with his or ya got lip service on pay day.

He bought breakfast etc but it was on our dime.
    Back then if you were his favorite he might spring for a tank of fuel.
    Back in the 80's....
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  20. grandview

glad he could spare the extra 5 bucks for a full tank of gas.