1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Travel Bar & Winch ( Cable ) Problems

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by kennyyoung, Dec 15, 2009.

1. kennyyoung

kennyyoung Junior Member

Hey Guys, I have owned a SnowBear snowplow now for the past 6 years... it works great for my application. This year I had to replace the winch, so I bought a SuperWinch from Canadian tire, but I have run into a small problem... the new winch comes with a 50ft cable on it oppsoed to the strap used by Snowbear. The cable recoils when tension is removed from the cable, causing it to tangle and bind in the winch. I would like to replace the cable with a strap.... does anyone have any suggestions on how to attach a strap to the winch.... the setup on the original winch is to large for the new winch!!!

Another problem I am having is that the blade is striking the ground when I have it up and secured by the travel bar while driving. The blade rocks back and forth quite a bit and is really to low to drive safely. With the winch holding up the blade it is plenty high off the ground, but the travel bar lets the plow drop to far...... has anyone come up with a fix to hold the plow up while not in use....besides using the winch!!!

2. B Nick

B Nick Junior Member

I dont know what to do about the winch cable other than buy a stock snowbear winch , then you can have the strap capability.

I to had the same problem with the safety bar, so what i did is got a lever style load binder, raised the plow up until it was tight and didnt rock back and forth, hooked the load binder around the flat bar and into the safety hook hole at the bottom. The load binder should be in lock position and make sure to wire the handle tight to the nearest bar so it doesnt filp out on you. When thats all done, lower your plow, the plow should not actually lower, but will take all the tension off of the winch but still keeping the plow stiff without haveing any rocking. This will extend the life of your winch beacause ther is no stress on it.

If I have time ill try and get a pic to you. good luck.
  3. kennyyoung

kennyyoung Junior Member

Thanks for the excellent suggestion, sure sounds good!!! Where would you go about buying one of these load binders? I don't think I have ever seen one... a picture would be great!!!

Thanks again
  4. B Nick

B Nick Junior Member

Well, im up in canada, i can get them at home depot, princess auto, or just any major tool place. load binder.jpg

load binder.jpg
  5. grandchero97

grandchero97 Junior Member

So u do not use chain just flat bar n hook. do u have pic with it installed.
  6. B Nick

B Nick Junior Member

ill get one as soon as i can
  7. Tirioloservices

Tirioloservices Member

ok cheap way out and works great
    get a 2 or 3 ft chain
    put a shackle on one end and connect to that area where the safety bar goes..ok
    then wrap the cahin around where the other end goes>>>from the safety bar ..wrap chain around and get another shackle and connect
    works great for me
    i know this is confusing but for not even ten dollars i use this thing andi drop the plow about 2 inches just so the tension isnt on the winch... its 2am and iam beat sorry for my more than enuff typos
  8. B Nick

B Nick Junior Member

Here is the load binder that I use to keep my plow up while driving, but keeping the tension off of the strap and winch.
    Any questions, just ask, i have more pics if you want. I hope this works for you.