1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trasnfer Case Fluids

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by The Grassman, Oct 24, 2003.

1. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

I own a 1996 GMC :D 3/4 Ton P/U with Electric 4wd control.

I did driveline service on my truck this year changing the fluid in read diff and front diff as well as transmission fluid and filter. The dealer dint change the fluid in the transfer case, because they say thats not part of the service i got done. My question is should i get the transfer case fluid changed since I'm thinking of plowing with my truck this year ? Should i let the GM dealer do it or go to Jiffy Lube and the equivalent?

Oh one more thing how much oil is normal for my truck to shed over a period of 5000 km. I dont see it in the exhaust when i start up or when driving. I loose about 2 or 3 Liters in the span of 5000km. I hear its normal for my truck is it? :help:

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You can change the fluid yourself quite easily.It just uses regular ATF.Drain the old,and just refill it.

If you do take it somewhere,make sure they don't hose you for it.

The oil consumption is acceptable.1 litre every 1500 KM is considered acceptable for an older vehicle.

3. ZR2DK

ZR2DK Junior Member

yeah, it should be 2 bolts. one filler, and one drain. be sure to loosen the filler plug first to ensure that it will come loose. It sucks to open the drain plug first, only to discover that the filler plug bolt head is stripped because the yahoo at valvoline that changed it last time didnt care what he was doing to my truck.

4. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

On the 96 Vortec motors the intake gaskets were prone to fail and could be causing the oil usage.
    Wyldman will know for sure.

5. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

I found out about the intake gasket last last summer after stoping in a parking lot and saw a trail of coolant seeping from under my truck. After i fixed the intake manifold gasket my water put went a month later.

About the oil i recently topped it up with 10w40 to see if thats helps i even used castrol high mileage i also tried a additive thats supposed to give you better fuel millage and stop oil burn off nothing helped.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

The intakes will occasionally leak from the valley area,but the coolant leaks are much more common.When you get the intake leaking vacuum,or sucking oil in,you'll know it,as it will run poorly.

7. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

Well if it is sucking in oil i don't know because the coolant looks good and it was changed when the intake gasket went.

About oil loss i notice that oil is leaking around the valve covers on either side. The oil runs down the headers a little, but the majority of it is on the valve plate cover.

The engine makes a ticking noise and sometimes feels like it wants to cut out on me if i am stopped at a light or something. I don't know what thats all about.