1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

transporting wide plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow Babe, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

We want to get a box plow for our commercial accounts. We have quite a few fast-food, convenience stores, offices, etc. Right now, we just have a Bobcat, so it is not really an issue, but in looking towards the future, we would like to get a loader with box plow, but figure 12' is about the widest we could drive down the road with. What do you do with wider plows to get them from one job to another?
  2. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

3. guido

guido PlowSite.com Veteran

If you were going to leave it at one account all season (shopping mall, etc) The just have it trucked over their on a trailer.
  4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Guido, seeing your post, made me think about a new smilie to add. I just made it. Welcome back to PlowSite!

This ones for you! :salute:

5. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Awesome Chuck, with being former USMC, I can surely appreciate it.. As I am sure those who have been or are still in the Armed Services can relate. :salute:
  6. snowflake

snowflake Member

also i have seen them pullled behind the loader on a trailer then they just drop trailer and hook to pusher get job done load back on trailer and than off to next job.'

other opition is get the fold in stlye

just my two cents still lokin for my change
  7. DanG

DanG Senior Member

Or transport it early in the morning or late at night:D and the heck with the people who have to dodge it.

On the farm early in the morning was when we had to haul big stuff like. 14' grain head on combine,12' Disc's and 14'spring tooth harrows.You'd see peoples eye's get real wide when they saw it coming at them.:D

8. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

Daniels plow

Thank you. Does anyone have experience with the Daniels foldable wing plow? We have their promotional video, but have not seen one in person. Are they well built and reliable? Would you recommend this brand or something different? We are bidding on a large retail store that will require the snow to be cleared and then transported around to the snow storage area at the back of the store. We were thinking a box plow would be the most efficient way to do this.
  9. wyldman

wyldman Member

Anything up to 12 ft we will drive down the road at night,with a truck behind it.Anything bigger would be pretty dangerous.

You might want to consider something like this.I have seen one in action on a 4WD tractor,and it works awesome.I stood in awe for about 5 mins.The versitility of an expandable plow,and a pusher box,all in one.Kinda pricey though.

Here is a link.Don't know of the manufacturers website.

storm snow pusher
  10. snowflake

snowflake Member

the protec not a bad unit but have loooked at the storm pushers they seem to be a lot stronger lookin than the protec
    i personnally havene seen what a daniels looks like;

just my dollar two ninety eight
  11. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

You might want to check out the Blizzard plow for your skidders also. Currently have an 8' that expand's to 10' for the skidders. They make an 8'6" that expands to 11'3" and I believe are working on a bigger unit. Get's the width when you need it but is compact for transport. Has a super feature of still being a plow to allow for angled plowing but when the wings are extended and pivoted forward it gives lots of snow carry.

Have seen the Daniels unit's in operation. They make a good quality product. Like the blue paint too.

Extenda plow is making a unit for the back of pickups and tractors but I think a little mod could allow the unit to go on the front of a loader. Nice extension on this unit.

Good luck and welcome to plowsite. Lots of people with experience here to help.

12. jpl

jpl Member
    from ct.

I have 2 loaders John Deere 344E & 324H both with 12 ft boxes. I drive them from site to site. During the storm there is no problems but I would'nt transport if it was'nt snowing. Almost forgot they both do have plates.
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

We run both Pro-Tech's and a Daniel's 14' wing plow. We have two Folding Pro-Techs that we run pretty much all over town. The others that don't fold only go about a 1/2 mile up the road, so no big deal. The Daniel's I very seldom fold, unless its rush hour.

They both have their place. In your situation I think the Pro-Tech would be the right choice. Daniel's also has a "push kit" for their wing plows, I have no first hand knowledge, but I've been told they work quite well.

The Pro-Techs are a lot more versatile than most would have given them credit for, incuding me. In a pinch, they can pretty much plow anything that a truck can, they can even backdrag. We have a couple lots that we don't even sen a truck to set it up for them because they are so versatile.

I have heard of one local contractor that got a ticket for running their Pro-Tech down the road, I think it was a 16', but so far so good for us.