1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transporting skid & containment/box plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Red Bull Junkie, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Red Bull Junkie

Red Bull Junkie Senior Member

I'm looking into transporting skids and box plows to multiple sites during an event. The sites are large but the lots are segmented and have islands, parking structures ect. and the skids are ideal. Any advise/pics on trailer set up or other means to get from site to site would be appreciated. We are using 8'-10' Kage plows.

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

8' are no problem going down the road, at least in NY 8'-6" is legal. I have trailered machines to sites to stage them with 10' pushers on them, you just have to be careful, we drive our loaders around durring storms with 14' pushers.

3. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I'll get some pictures for you. I use a 18+2 bumper pull trailer. Put a bucket up front and back the skid on with the plow/pusher... low center of gravity since its a low deck trailer so it pulls great on snow and ice. Mine is a skid-pro 14k pintle hitch.

4. Red Bull Junkie

Thanks for the input fellas. I would love to see the pics Rob. I hear what your saying on the 10 ft's Rlm. There has to be a way to get this done safely and efficiently. Each truck with 1 trailer, skid, and box....or maybe I'm buying a few more 8'ers

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  5. Red Bull Junkie

Auto correct I hate you.

6. rob_cook2001

My box is a 10ft, my plow with wings is almost 11ft.. never had a issue.

7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

It is illegal though. 8'6" is the max width. I know people get away with it. Just saying.

8. rob_cook2001

O I know it is illegal, but not many people out writing tickets during a storm lol.

9. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

what are you towing with? put the plow in the back of the truck

10. Red Bull Junkie

-Yes sir. If was me transporting the machine in the middle of the night here and there, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Up to this point, we have had site dedicated plows and machines. We can transfer via trailer to help clean up other sites with the smaller plows but I want as much flexibility as possible to move site to site with the larger units. Just trying the think outside the box and come up with a better system. Here are a few pics I found on Plowsite.

http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=112305&stc=1&d=1331259985
    http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=112451&stc=1&d=1331683622

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

There are quite a few different manufacturers of expandable pushers. Sounds like that would be ideal for moving site to site without being illegal. If that's your concern.

12. Red Bull Junkie

That is something I have thought about. maybe an HLA 8'-13". Only concern is the price per unit would be considerably more, and more moving parts. That may be the only way to get it done though. Does anyone know the approx cost for an HLA or Machinability set up?

13. dirtyscag

dirtyscag Senior Member

You should be pretty close to 8' 6" with the 10' kages angled right? Or maybe drop down to a 9' that would be under.

14. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Since I own a towing company too, I use our rollbacks to move the skids. They load and unload fast.