1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transporting Plow in Bed

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by PlowGuy314, Jun 19, 2009.

1. PlowGuy314

PlowGuy314 Junior Member
    from CT

Hey guys. I'm looking for a setup so that I could load my 8' plow into the back of my truck without the use of a backhoe or similar machine. I was thinking of trying to build some sort of frame that I could bolt together and attach a come-along to the top. I would then be able to put a chain around the plow and lift one side, back the truck up so part of the plow is resting on the bed, move my frame and come-along setup to the backside, crank that up, and get the plow in the rest of the way. Can't really think of any better way to do it, but I know someone must be doing this an easier way or at least have some ideas and input before I try to build and rig something up. Thanks guys.

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Why and how often do you need to put the plow in the bed?

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You've got the right idea. Just build it tall enough (and strong enough) to pick the blade up in the middle. Putting one end in at a time is going to be kind of dangerous.

4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Try an engine lift ! ! ! Their good for at lease 1,000 lbs.

5. heavyiron

heavyiron Member

6. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

How about mounting a 2ton electric winch on an angle iron mounted across the bed (near the cab)? With a few good legths of timber and a bit of muscle you should be able to slide it in quite easily...or...you could do like I do, disconnect the A-frame & the sector, then lift the blade in by hand...

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get a friend to help and just put 1 end in at a time. Very easy.

8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

9. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Try this one too. Stores behind your truck seat when not in use and you can get them in manual crank or electric. They dont weigh a whole lot either and is capable of lifting up to 1,000lbs.

http://www.spitzlift.net/

10. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

use that new gadget called a friend,better yet two.xysport

11. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

find a big tree and hook a come along to i big branch, lift it up, back your truck under it, let it down, drive away!

12. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

I agree. it is the best $199 i have spent.you can pick the plow up and put it right in the bed, you can pick up ballest set it right in the bed. flip the class III or IV ball upside down, and lift the back of your truck up to work under it. pull motors, help install heads.

It has 1000 uses

13. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

Not only will an Engine lift place it in your truck but in any other truck. You can also use it to move it around the gragae when doing any repairs on it.

14. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

agreed..:drinkup:

15. D.todd6

D.todd6 Member

I don't know how heavy your plow is but my 7.5 ft plow is light enough for me I just back my truck close to my plow, open the tail gate, get the plow up on end and tiptoe to my truck, set it on the tailgate, then pick up the other end and slide it in. I have and older plow though that is just the plow not the pump and everything else in one piece.