1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transporting my plow and truck on a two hour drive

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by scitown, Dec 19, 2007.

1. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I bought a truck, 2000 chevy 3500 with a mm fisher plow, and it is a little over two hours away. All highway driving. Anything special I should do as a new plow driver? Should I short chain the plow for highway driving? Should I add weight to the bed? Don't get me wrong, I can drive. Im just worried about getting into the truck driving 55mph down the highway and oops, guy forgot to tell me the blade drops on its own sometimes. Do I have to have signs or lettering on the side of a comercial truck in New Hampshire?

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Adding weight to the bed is mostly just for traction. On a dry highway all it is going to do is strain the engine more. I wouldn't short chain it too much because it will restrict the air flow to the radiator a little more. Leave the plow down a slow as possible without it hitting the road or those pesky bridge expansion joints. Keep it angled to one side to get as much air into the grille as possible. Drive slow and keep a lcose ye on all you gauges. Drive around on some back roads first just to make sure that everything is OK to run on the highway. Is there anyway you can toss the plow in the bed? It might be a little less of a headache. I think you should be fine either way. A 3500 should get the job done. Congrats on the new purchase!
  3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

put it in the bed of the truck if possible. two guys should be able to do it in a couple of minutes. if not do what the guy in front of me said to do...
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

By putting it in the bed it will give you an idea on how to put it on and off plus with it in the bed it is alot safer and will lead to worry less driving.
  5. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

I would also recommend putting the plow in the bed. Better for your engine (airflow).
  6. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I was wondering how people got them out of the back of the truck when they buy them from a dealer. I never thought to put it in the back of the truck. How the hell do you get it in the back? I have seen them lying face down. Do I just flip it vertical and then rock it over so it is leaning then slide it in? Thats the only way I can figure it would work.
  7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Know anyone with a forklift or bucket loader? Have them put it in the bed, and someone else take it out for you on the other end. That's what I've done- works great and is much less wear and tear on the truck.
  8. scitown

scitown Senior Member

No I dont know anyone with a forklift at that end.
  9. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Use a come-along and chain it to a big tree branch. Probably not the safest way to go but I have gone this route before. Just be careful.
  10. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Where do you live? I might be able to help you out. If not, a few guys can take it out of the bed no problem. Come-a-long it to a tree and slowly drive forward until it almost falls out the the bed. The hand push it slowly off the bed so that it is at an angle then just pick it up and slowly put it on the ground. It helps if it is on skids or a pallet of some sort when it is in the truck so you don't scratch it. How big is the plow?
  11. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Two guys? Not me and anyone I know. Yikes, we are talking 800 pounds! LOL

My *&^ing back!!!:D
  12. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Put it on it's face...2 guys can lift one end into the bed, then lift the other end and slide it in............depending on how high the bed is, that is.......

I guess us Canadian boys are just a bit tougher..........................
  13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

An engine cherry picker will lift it in or out.
  14. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

If it was me i would just drive it home...just watch your gauges and you will be fine. I had mine installed almost two hours away and I drove it home on the freeway at 70 mph without any problems.
  15. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

This is what I would do as well. I have been selling plows running fully equipped demo trucks for over 17 years. Plow is on the truck 12 months a year. I would expect over that time close to one million miles and thousands of hours doing it. Granted I am running company vehicles so I do not have the investment that you guys have in your own rigs. Watch the gauges, change the blade angle if she starts to get a little warm. IMO 2 hours should be no big deal.
  16. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Its an eight foot fisher. I have a younger brother and his friend who are both twenty years old. I think between the three of us we can figure it out. Them are college kids and have been a learnin, I bet we can get it. Between the three of us we are packing about 575lbs. Thanks for the offer First Time out. I think we got it. If not and we drop it on our legs Yard Medic ( a senior plowsite member) is on the fire department in Concord Nh where the truck is. He will have to help. HAHA
  17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I know a few guys who use thier engine hoists to move thier plows in and out of the truck beds. Just make sure you use a good rope/strap or chain to do so. Don't need a plow 5ft up in the air comming crashing down near people. (cough BNC cough:D)
  18. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I'd just drive it also. I live in Goffstown and have a house in New Hampton (lakes region, about an hour and 15 minutes each way) And I have driven up there and back to plow the driveway a few times. One time I had a trailer full of trash to dump in my dumpster, and pulled it back with 420 lbs of aluminum in it. About an extra 2200-2400 lbs plus the 560 lbs of sand, and a bunch of other crap, in the bed. At least 600 lbs total back there. Not a hiccup, and that's with a 2500HD. Oh, and my plow is a MM2 8' HD
  19. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

I get my plow (7.5' meyer) in my bed with me and a friend and can get it out by myself... Tilt it forward so the frame is stickin up. Back the truck up to it and each of you get on either side of the plow closest to the bed of the truck. Lift it up and rest it on tailgate. (I can probably do it myself but never tried it). then go to the back lift it up and slide her in. To get it out drag it out of the bed, tilt it down on the ground with the other end almost to the edge of the tailgate and then get in your truck and put her in drive. I always do it on the grass... it only drops about 2.5 feet. Hasnt hurt her yet. Then again my plow is the older classic style with the pump on my truck...Thats how i do it... Good luck with the truck...
  20. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

i put a 7.5 meyer poly in my bed of the truck last winter when I broke it all to hell. It was snowing like hell out and I was pissed off. Trucks were falling apart all over the place during a 4 day storm and i had no one to help me. I put it by a tree and stood it straight up and backed the truck up to it. I then leaned it against the tailgate and then got behind it and pushed it till it got up there. then i backed it into the tree and was off. You will be amazed with what you can do when you are really pissed off.