1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transporting ATV for plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawn Lad, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

How would you transport an ATV from site to site? Back of the truck? Open/Enclosed trailer?
  2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Probably the easiest way would be to get a 4 foot by 4 foot trailer that Northern Tools sells. They are cheap and small so it should be easy to store and you don't have to worry about towing a 12' or 16' trailer through a blizzard. :eek:
  3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

if it fits in the truck, i would say that would be the easiest.
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

would an atv fit on one of those platforms that slides into the receiver hitch? something similar to what the fertilizer guys put their ride on spreaders on. that would be a slick setup, cause you could just drive it off the platform, pull one pin and youre set
  5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I like the mdl landscaping's idea. But what truck do you have? What is the towing hitch rating? Something that you would have to check into. Don't forget to include the weight of platform too.
  6. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I can just picture the trailer jackknifed at the stop light.
    I'd go with ramps to the truck. Wood ramps will be extremely slick & you risk it rolling over on you when it falls off... Go with the metal type with wide slots.
    The hitch platform sould handle the weight & would be the best way to go as long as your not backing up in tight areas to often. An added bonus is it makes GREAT ballast.
  7. NoSnow

NoSnow Member

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

here ya go. they even make one.

9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The last thing you want to be doing in a snow storm is towing a trailer, especially one without brakes. I did it professionally for twenty years with brakes and there were a bunch of white knuckle rides.

Ideally, I'd want to carry the machine in the bed, it adds weight over your wheels for more traction. The hitch platform would be my second choice, it still adds the weight over the wheels, but exposes your machine to accident damage.
  10. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

I think to load it up, all you will need to do is find a snowbank to park next to and jump that thing right in :)
    To unload would be no problem, just jump off backwards :drinkup:

The writer of this email reply assumes no responsibility if someone takes him seriously.
  11. long0

long0 Senior Member

One disadvantage to the hitch platform that I see, is the blade would be sticking out beyond the truck. Could be some issues with your local laws, getting into tight spaces, ect.

Personally, I would go with the metal ramps, and haul it in the back of the truck. The ramps don't weigh much, and you should be able to load / unload in just a few minutes.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

last year we used a trailer and this year i happened upon a old box van cheap(old ryder truck).......the trailer served its purpose and did not cost me a thing,but the machines where always dirty and salty from all of the overspray(we use walkers for walks.

you could probably build an enclosure to avoid the over spray

I dont think the trailer was so bad, although i have high hopes for my new setup
  13. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

We always pull trailers in storms, our sidewalk crew uses a 20' enclosed, and we also pull the skid steer around in the snow if we need too, we never realy had any problems. If you can fit it in the back of your truck it may be easier though, it all depends how often you have to laod and unload it though.
  14. NoSnow

NoSnow Member

Look on the discount ramps site. They have a ramp that replaces tailgate and you load atv into bed of pick up.
  15. NoSnow

NoSnow Member

Heres pic

16. NoSnow

NoSnow Member

And closed
    I know easy ramp made one that replaces tail gate, just couldn't find their site. These have springs in them and lift/fold easily.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2002
  17. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking about some of the same problems.

I think the ideal set up is a box truck - then the machine is enclosed and you have no trailer. I'm concerned about the trailering idea more for rush hour traffice than night time plows when the roads are empty.

I've got an S-10 that the sidewalk crew will take out. Snow blowers in the bed of the truck and not heavy duty enough to use a hitch platform.

I keep going back to the box van - but I'm not looking to add that kind of cost for starting out small on walks.

Thanks all for your suggestions and pictures.
  18. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Well that is what I started in the snow industry with, a 4wheeler with a plow.

I used a trailer-it was friggin hard to stop with all that weight rolling behind me!

I used a pickup with ramps, dented the hell outta the front of the box when the 4wheeler wouldn't stop.

I finally loved the last idea, a used Ryder moving van, low to the ground and doubled as a workshop where we kept plow parts, and a rolling kitchen for those long nights. My wife joined us late at night cooking from a propane stove in the back and a kind of drive through occurred at the jobsite.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Check out the load pro. It looks like a nice way to go if you haul it in the bed of the truck.

20. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

I am looking at this one for myself. Please keep the feedback coming. The more choices the better www.metko.com The unit is called Redi Ramp.