1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transporting....Angled or straight????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TLS, Dec 20, 2000.

1. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Is it just me that believes when I am transporting my plows down the road, to keep them angled??? My Dad kept his angled ever since I can remember. '59 Jeep station wagon w/ 283 Chevy and a 6.5 Meyer "MANUAL" angle plow (I was angle boy). I see more and more fly-by-nighter landscaper wannabees with brand new trucks and plows buzzing down narrow roads with their blades in the bucking position. It's not too bad with the 7.5'ers, but with those 8.5 to 10'ers on F550's with the blade high and straight!!! I just always thought it was common sense/courtesy to keep it angled to narrow the amount of lane you take up. On my Boss, you are almost forced to keep it Veed so they aren't the problem. Anybody else find this irritating/rude???

Whew....Just needed to get that off my chest!!!

Happy plowing.

[Edited by dixie1 on 12-21-2000 at 01:08 AM]
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I would perfer angling a blade. However when you angle a plow one side is much lower than the other. Depending on the roads you are driving down, it may be best to leave the blade straight. I once had a 9' fisher on a GMC 1500 angled and caught a pothole and spun a 360 in the road on the edge of the plow. If there is enough room to keep the blade streight that is the way I perfer to trasport. If the truck is properly equip to plow, it will only over heat if the temps are above 40 and that doesn't hapen very often in Maine.

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 12-21-2000 at 02:11 AM]
  3. MJ

MJ Senior Member

Dixie1 - I have a Dodge w100 with a 7 1/2' Fisher. If I keep the moldboard straight, it will hotter than usual. Angling allows air to circulate to the radiator. I've even noticed a slight difference in angling right vs left. The instruction booklet that came with the plow also recommends transporting with the blade angled and keeping speed to no more than 45mph. Sure enough, at 55 the heat read higher than usual. Both situations took the heat guage to the second "mark" where it otherwise never goes above the first. Now I transport angled always and never over 45. I've never "bottomed out".

4. eskals

eskals Member

One the same subject, I notice that alot of guys travel with the plow angled to the left. Very few with it angled to the right. Any reason for this?

5. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

I carry mine angled to the left cause I'm usually in the right lane (travelling slower than other traffic) and that way I don't worry as much about clipping a curb or snowbank. It's low and angled in the first place to allow for better cooling.
  6. MJ

MJ Senior Member

Dixie1 - in addition to the greater air circulation (in my 1st post), I prefer the greater visbility with it angled to the left. With it angled to the right, the left corner the moldboard is blocking my view of passing cars, people...

7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Transporting at angle has many advantages. The increased visablity, air movement, ect. I think I do angle the blade as much as possible as long as the road is in good enough condition, if it's in poor condition I go with the blade straight. Taking a 10' plow down the road is really different, hard to travel with a straight blade.

I have never had a truck overheat or have a big change in engine temperature when traveling down the road with the blade straight. However if you live in an area where temperatures exceed 40 after a storm, then I think I would transport with the blade angle as much as possible.

8. MJ

MJ Senior Member

... I also notice that the ones with the blades raised and straight usually do not have any type of strobe/Whelan light.

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I keep it low and straight. When its angled the high side blocks the headlamp.
  10. NEAL

NEAL Member

I always transported at an angle for cooling reasons. My blazer had a body lift that put the radiator too high in relation to the fan. Angling the plow definitely helped the temp stay low probably helps fuel milage too.
  11. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

My Boss plow gets the Vee treatment, which is nice for gas mpg-every little bit helps.
    The Meyers I vary. I do both. In town, when I keep it straight, it's lowered just a little, to keep air coming to the radiator. Esp. on highway, it gets up to 210* in a hurry if the blade is up.
    I keep it straight because it doesn't stick way into the crowd/traffic. 2 yrs. ago I was angled, backing up & turning too & scraped a guys quarter panel wide open: $900 damage (ouch!)
    Since then, it's straight most of the time in town. I can maneuver better in town with it parallel to my front end.
    If I'm 35 mph +, or on open road, then I angle it for aerodynamics/ gas mpg sake. I angle to the left, with right side way out in front, so is easier to drive among traffic coming at you on 2 lane roads, etc. I feel safer with that side close to the truck. I can see better for turns & watching out for the idiot who never looks for the other guy. Hope that makes sense.
  12. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

We always carry angled to the left. I figure that if we were to hit an oncoming car it would be a lot more of a glancing blow than if they got the raised corner in the windshield..
  13. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I angle to the left too,this way if someone hits me it throws them off into the shoulder,and me to my shoulder.If i was angled to the right,we would go into oncoming traffic and risk a head-on.I d rather eat a guard rail or ditch it then go head on any day if it ever came down to one or the other.
  14. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

With my 9ft western I have to angle it to the right if there is snow on the road because it makes a rooster-tail and I don't want to hit cars going the opposite direction then me. If no snow to the left. On 8ft and under i go straight around town but will angle it when going over 40ml for better fuel economy.
  15. Matt

Matt Member

There are guys around here with the V's that seem to think that the scoop position is the best. Must be they want to be as long as possible and like spending more on fuel. We either put in the V position or angled to the left with the straight blades.
  16. plowboy876

plowboy876 Junior Member

I run with the blade angled RIGHT (lower part to the passenger side of the truck).

Let me explain..I'm in SW lower Michigan, in a rural area for the most part. I travel a lot of country roads and with the angle to the right, there is less danger of the blade catching and sucking you in...(ive seen this happen to several unexperienced plower wanna bee's)

As far as lights, I run a double rotating beacon. I want the average dip **** i'm not paying attention driver out there to see me from a distance before they see me up REAL CLOSE......

just my opinion
    Please watch the language in your posts. Many younger uses are on line. Thank You

[Edited by plowking35 on 12-27-2000 at 10:31 PM]
  17. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers Member

We always travel with ours angled to the right. This is a little bit of a pain because it is high on the drivers side but at least you know where the edge is. Just my $.02
  18. plowguy06

plowguy06 Member
    from Ohio

I have seen lots of city trucks (international 4700/4900) that keep the plows down and straight when they are just salting.
  19. zipp669

zipp669 Junior Member

I usually run angled left.
    But move it accordingly left, right or straight.
    Angled geves you alot more airflow & your engine doesnt heat up.
    on the reason to angle left most of the time-if it was angled right & when you make a right hand turn there is more of the blade sticking out to hit a vehicle. especially on the wide turns or narrow streets.
    my .02 cents worth
  20. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Since my last post at this thread, I have started driving with the plow angled left, and feel more comfortable on the road than having it straight (if for no other reason than it not being as wide).