1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

transporting a snowbear plow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by SnoRunner, Nov 17, 2004.

1. SnoRunner

SnoRunner Junior Member

First I would like to say this is a great site & I have found it very informative. Now I know alot of people are against the snowbear but I think it will work fine for what I need. It is on a '88 4Runner which is my only vehicle & I only do my driveway. What I would like to do is drive the 5 miles to my mom's place & do her yard as well BUT I am wondering if the mounts can handle transporting the plow (other than just backing up).It comes with a hook to take the weight off the winch but Snowbear does NOT recommend highway use. Does anyone drive with theirs on or has anyone made some sort of support to take some weight off the main brackets? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Roger.
  2. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Although it is a bit too much truck for a snowbear I see a Chevy dually driving around town all winter long with his snowbear attached. I always remove my plow when not in use but this guy leaves it on all winter long. I would think if his can stand up to our rough roads all winter long you should be fine driving five miles down the road to your mom's.
  3. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Jeez. Is his truck wider than the plow? :eek:
  4. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Like I said "Although it is a bit too much truck for a snowbear ".
  5. millratf250

millratf250 Member

i had snow bear for 10 yrs now i have a 8' fisher now
    i would keep the snow bear at home the one time i plow a Friends drive way i had to come home with the snow bear in the bed of my truck
  6. SnoRunner

SnoRunner Junior Member

millratf250, did the snowbear break from plowing or just from driving there? Thanks again guys!
  7. millratf250

millratf250 Member

i was plowing had to go get it welded :rolleyes:
  8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

could you be any more vague on what actually happened, not that I really care, but come people would actually like to know what failed and the circumstances that lead to the failure.....
  9. Personal Plow

Personal Plow Junior Member

I keep my snow bear plow on while i go to plow with a friends fisher plow. I use the hook and have had no problems. If you use the plow for what its intended for its GREAT.
    I think they dont recommend transporting it because some trucks or SUV's the head lights may be covered and if you dont HOOK IT you could break the strap and the plow will drop.

Good Luck!!
  10. SnoRunner

SnoRunner Junior Member

Thanks everyone

I think I'll take the chance & drive down to my mothers & do her drive. After all, what's the worst that could happen,lol. I have a welder, so I wont have to take it somewhere to have it fixed,payup.Thanks again for all the input. Roger.
  11. 68 bullitt

68 bullitt Member

Snowbear clearance etc.

68 bullitt only in the summer
  12. 68 bullitt

68 bullitt Member

What do you mean by the hook as a prevention,are you referring to the chain??? sorry can you be more specific?Thank's
  13. MR PLOW

MR PLOW Junior Member

Bear Transport

I have the older snowbear (10 years old) and travel about 20 miles while doing my route and never had a problem.

14. schnitz

schnitz Member

I leave mine on my truck when snow is predicted. Now I've only had it not quite a month, but it does what I need it to very well. It seems to block the turn signal lights a bit in the all the way up position. I just got back home with it on, and it did just fine with the safety hooks on a 20 mile found trip.
  15. ymerejsregor

ymerejsregor Junior Member

Does everyone who does transport it use the hook and then take the slack off the strap? I did that the first couple times I ran it between home and my office, but then the plow bounces side to side since it pivots in the middle. Now I just raise it until its all the way up and that eliminates the movement while I'm on the road. Do you think this is better, or would you still recommend letting it drop all the way to the hook?
  16. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

The idea for the hook is, when driving long distance, put it on, so in case the winch fails, it'll still be up and not drop to the ground. You arn't supposed to let it take the slack off the strap. :eek:
  17. jbok19

jbok19 Member

ymerejsregor, I have an '03 Silverado too how does the bear work on your truck? What size plow did you get? Where did you get it at?
  18. SnoRunner

SnoRunner Junior Member

Using the hook

hello everyone, I have now used my snowbear about 6 or 7 times & it works great for what I need. I drove the 5 miles to my mom's & did her drive twice with no problem.I have tried keeping the strap tight & the hook on but the winch slips on the bumps & eventually the hook is doing the work anyway. It seems to me that the side to side bouncing is better than the stress on the winch,so I now use the hook & raise the plow to just tighten the strap.I'm not sure if this is the best way but it also lets me use my headlights which are blocked when the winch is up all the way. Thanks for everyones input.
  19. PhantomRacer

PhantomRacer Senior Member
    from boston

You should be able to tighten the clamp on the winch to stop it from working down. I have driven many miles with the plow all the way up with zero drop. I do find I have to tighten the clamp every year.

Does every SB owner have a strap? My plow uses a chain to raise the plow.

20. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I have chain

Mine also has a chain and have never had a problem with it dropping at all :) .

I drive over 20 miles at a time and not one time has it dropped over the 4 years I have had it. I do not have the hook that everyone is talking about?? :confused: