1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transporting a plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Kenyou, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Hi guys. I have another newbie question for you. I've tried several times to do a search but it came up with a blank page. It didnt' even say it couldn't find anything.

I have read that transporting my plow for a extended distance of about 30 or 40 miles or more, is hard on the cylinder. Is there a better way to do it without putting all that pressure on the plow cylinder itself ? Thanks a lot for your time.

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I doubt it puts any more pressure or wear on the cylinder than driving from Lot to lot or if you were to go through town and hit a bunch of red lights.... Now if you were going to take it from say, state to state, a couple hundred miles. Then put it either on a trailer or in the back of your truck.

Tom

3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

we touched breifely on this in "plowing a gravel driveway" and there is NO reason it would be hard on it i don't kow why or who started this myth.:rolleyes:

if trasnporting your plow would be hard on it they would put transport locks or some other safety device on it.:nod:

4. Novi plow boy

Novi plow boy Member

Brought home a plow for a friend and it was about 75 miles and it was fine.

5. greedy737

greedy737 Junior Member

I went up to our cabin to plow it out many times 200 mi. one way no problems!!

6. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

yeah i would thick that stacking snow would definetly be wayyy harder on a lift cylinder than transport, you should be fine transporting it that far as long as the engine and trans temp stay down - Nick

7. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

It will do a lot more bouncing if the ram is not extended all the way up. If you need to lower it to increase air flow, just raise it to the top if you have to go over rough tracks or gulleys. I've used this word picture before....imagine yourself holding a dumbell or weight on a rope(plow) out at fore arms length (ram lowered some) while you are jumping up and down. It will be much harder to hold the weight in position there than if it were held up to your shoulder in a curl position (ram all the way up). The strain on you muscles and frame relate to the strain on plow parts.The bouncing while lowered some and going over rough pavement will be absorbed some by the hydraulics but there will be much more stress than when the ram is all the way up where less bouncing is encountered.
    Just watch your engine temps...typically the trans will get hot before the coolant temperature guage shows the engine is getting too hot. Do what ever it takes to keep temps down if they rise, be it pulling off, lowering speed, lowering or angling the plow for more airflow, keeping it out of overdrive for faster circulation of tranny fluid, etc.

8. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Yup, I've driven quite far with the plow hooked up. The only thing I will say is keep air flow through the radiator at all costs. I overheated and cracked a head doing this. If your on the highway, you can lower the blade slightly to increase airflo without it bouncing. I've never had a problem.

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Angling the blade while traveling helps to increase MPG's and improves airflow to the truck.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm more worried about the front end of my truck, then the lift cylinder. All our snow is 30 miles from our shop and for over 18 years we've made that 30 mile trip one way with no problems. (touch wood)

11. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Ok everybody, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with me about plow transporting. That makes it a lot easier. It's my first plow and it's old and I don't want to wreck it or my truck. Thanks to you guys I don't have to worry about that part. The big problem is the heat that is generated with a plow on the truck. There is a factory Trans Cooler in my radiator and has been used by another person for years, so I'm assuming it will be aright. If not, do you have any recommendations on a external cooler?

I did find out from a friend that has a plow how he was told to transport his plow for a good distance without putting all that stress on the cylinder. Just for GP I tell you what he said.

First you block up your plow to the distance off the road that you want to use. Now lower the plow arm and put it into Float. Next go outside and push your pump arm down to the very bottom. Now just re-adjust your chain to hold the plow up. So now the chain and everything else holds the plow up but not the Hydraulic system. I don't know if this will really make a difference in wear and tear but it sounded logical.

Thanks again!