1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transport speeds?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by plow150, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plow150

plow150 Member

Not sure if it's an industry standard, but my suburbanite plow carries a sticker indicating that recommended max speed while carrying the plow is 45mph. Wondering why that is. Manufacturers are cautious?

Seems to handle highway speeds fine. I have a 100+ mile commute to one of my plowing sites, so at 45 this will become a long trek. How's everyone handle the highways with their rigs?

2. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Isn't there a max. speed on most plows? I never pay attention, but I think there is. Of course you can go faster, but let's say you are on a dirt road and going fast and the plow drops into the ground, then you will get in an accident or break something.

On hot top, sometimes pot holes will break a chain link. I know it happens because I have done that with just a garden tractor's chain from the plow.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Stability is the real factor here and if your truck is stout enough and the tires are rated high enough you can use "reasonable" speed limits. I have gone faster on occasion transporting than I care to say.

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Why would you want to drive 100 Miles for a Job?
    Generally you should be conservative with the plow attached all the time, around town be as careful as possible. On the highway, well, as long as you don't have any problems with overheating (rare nowadays) your all set. I see many people doing about 60 MPH with plows on the highway. If i have to drive long distances at high speeds with the plow (very rare), i put it in the bed. The front end/tires/brakes, etc. do not need the extra stress of the plow for any length of time at high speeds. Personally, i have gone, well faster then i care to say, but i will say it anyways 80 MPH with the plow on. I have an excuse though, i was "passing somebody" ;)

5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I go just as fast with the plow on as I do with it off.

6. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

Vee blades are perfect for high speed transport. I'm with THE BOSS on this one, same speed with or without the blade.

7. Tarkus

I can to go as fast as I care to with my straight blade on or off but what does going 90 or better with a plow prove anyway? The faster you go the longer it takes to stop and the harder to control it in a emergency, vee plow of straight blade.

8. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Din't get me wrong, as i said iam generally VERY conservative with the plow on, lower speeds a little, and don't do anthing fast. It does not take much error to clip the plow on something like an oncoming vehicle. We are all used to driving with plows on, but its still not everyday that we do it. There are many more risks involved, you have to take it slow. You should be driving completely different with a plow.

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

100 miles!!!

Hope your getting at least $400 on top of what you'd charge to plow....just for the time spent commuting.

It's taken me almost 2 hours to go 5 miles before in a blizzard.

10. Tarkus

Very good point as I would not drive 100 miles to plow unless it was very big bucks! Even in a blizzard and have done a lot better than that and I have been if a few real white outs to and those are something. You must be getting trapped behind others.

11. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Why would you want to drive 100 Miles for a Job?
    Generally you should be conservative with the plow attached all the time, around town be as careful as possible. On the highway, well, as long as you don't have any problems with overheating (rare nowadays) your all set. I see many people doing about 60 MPH with plows on the highway. If i have to drive long distances at high speeds with the plow (very rare), i put it in the bed.

Question for you guys......

A lot of times I see a truck with a plow in the bed as you mentioned. Stupid question but how do you get the plow in the bed?? Do you have some lift or ramp set?? thanks! :waving:

12. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

a 100 miles. my entire state isn't 100 miles wide god bless if u are willing to do that route

13. Tarkus

Why waste 4 hrs in truck commuting for one job unless it pays more than 4 hrs of work?

It would at least take 3 or 4 good men and a boy to even think about getting my plow in back of truck and besides my one ton criuse nicely at any reasonable speed on hiway with or without a plow attached.

14. plow150

plow150 Member

Good to hear how others handle high speed transport, and that it seems that highway speeds should be fine with some noted cautions. Sorry if I misled anyone… I'm not driving 100 miles to make money… falls into the "personal use plowing" category. Smooth highway commute to cottage country, then across the ice/gravel roads to get into remote locations. No big bucks… maybe some good fishing but that's about it. :)

Plow's the best way to get there, although the off road portion tends to be somewhat slow… mind you slow is faster than stuck. Can't put the plow in the box 'cause it's usually full of stuff. One, but not the only reason, I went with the lightweight plow was so it wouldn't put undue stress on the front end for highways, yet it's still big enough to do what I need it to.

15. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Just drive it like you stole it. Well not really I drive the same plow on or plow off. I just take it easy on RR tracks and frost heaves so the plow doesn't jump up. I use a good lift chain because our rough roads will break a cheap one.

16. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

No where in my post did I give the speed value of "90 or better". I guess some members have to assume things in other members posts so they can have a subject so they can post more and more posts. What I mean by Vee blades being perfect for high speed transport is the fact that it dosen't unsafely pull the vehicle to one side or the other like a straight blade does (if the straight blade is angled to one side for cooling purposes) at highway speeds, and yes I have had both so I do know. Further more I drive a large commercial truck in heavy traffic everyday and am well aware of what it takes to evaluate traffic situations and make safe and often life saving decisions and do not at any time perform an act to endanger other motorists like driving 90 with a plow on my pickup truck. I do have NOTHING to prove with or without my plow on.

17. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

I drive about the same speed with or without the plow.....in Anchorage we are really limited in big highways, but my route to work is about 5 miles, about 2 miles on a freeway which I tend to do about 65mph with or without the plow. Everything seems fine, no pulling and yanking of the front end. I do watch out a little more for potholes and RR tracks with the plow on. :waving:

18. Tarkus

I think you miss the point here and are taking things out of context. I am not saying you should speed but to suggest the a vee plow is better just because it appears more airdynamic is foolish. You must als0 remember that V plow generall weight 15 to 20% more too which adds more weight for front end to carry and to stop and stabilize as well. I get on the hiway a few times each snow for a few runs and I have found no stabilty problems at any hiway speed I use but then I use a 1 ton truck with a lot of ballast in rear too but if you use a 1/2 ton with no ballast at hiway speeds and carry your plow low or angle fore better cooling as some seem to need, you need more than a Vee plow to fix your problems.

19. Tarkus

Double posted (not by me on purpose)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  20. Tarkus

Somehow it triple posted so I blanked this one. They really need a delete feature for poster to be able to use.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.