1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transport Speed???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Gatewayuser, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser Senior Member

I just bought a boss 8.2 V-plow and it says that you can not drive over 40mph when transporting, I forgot and was driving 55mph with no problem. Do I really need to go only 40?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The problem is that the moldboard will block the airfow above 40mph causing the engine to overheat. At slower speeds, some air current will still be lower and in line with the radiator. As speed increases, the air flow will be higher. I've tried it several times. It works. At 45, my 1/2 ton is fine - at 50 the temp guage starts climbing. Not all trucks seem to be affected the same, though. I've heard of guys driving faster with no bad results.
  3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

As long as your truck dont run hot(trans and motor) and you keep in mind that you have close to 1000#'s hanging off the front end when it comes to manuvering and emergency breaking ect and plan acordingly you are ok(nose heavy, extra weight, ass light, it wont react the same). Sometimes 40 transporting in town in a a snow storm would be rediculosly fast and sometimes 40 is freaking ignorantly slow. They are saying that as a CYA on thier part. Know your truck and your condidtions and dont exceed them.
  4. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser Senior Member

Ok, Thanks!
    My truck is a 01 F-350 4x4 and handles the plow very well but I did notice the temp climbing at 50mph.
  5. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I have had my truck hit the speed limiter with my old Fisher on and Fisher never came by to tell me I went over their limit or 45
  6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If you can go faster with out overheating, good for you. As ratlover said it depends on the situation, I dont find myself exceeding 45 with the plow in most situations. Even on black and wet pavement i usually go slower with the plow. Its alot of extra weight on the front. I have driven as fast as 70 on the highway with the plow on but i had to angle and adjust height quite a few times to get enough air to the grill.
  7. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i had to move my plow over the summer . i drove it few miles and thought my truck was on fire !!! never once wen't over 35. in the cold winter months i can drive as fast as i want .
    like every one said it all depends on your truck and how it reacts with the plow on .
    one other thing , keep the plow as low as you can when driveing. if you can keep the top of the blade at about the same hight as your grill you shouldnt have much over heating problems.
  8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

If your truck starts to warm up, you'll need to adjust the angle / height of the plow.

Usually what works for me is to get it as high or as low as possible, and then angle away from which ever way the wind is blowing.

If the wind is blowing across the road, from left to right, I'll angle the plow all the way to the right.
  9. Dang people

Holy cows, i didnt know people followed that recomendation. You will quite commonly see me going down the highway at 75 with mine on! :) oops