1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

transmisson 1998 k1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mdchest, May 31, 2003.

1. mdchest

mdchest Junior Member

Why does my chevy shift hard from 1st to 2nd but all the others are smooth,,,its not slipping and the trans fluid and filter have been changed and its not buring hot. Is there a simple fix to this problem to stop the hard shifting, One more thing when im going between 45 and 50 and im in OD i get a surge , but if i shift it to 3rd then it stops is there a simple fix to this also, thank you for your replies i really appreciate it.

mark in florida

Love the Chevy
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

You may have a broken 1-2 accumulator spring. I have seen this on many high mileage units,its not a big deal to have this fixed,but it may cost you 100 bucks or so.The accumulator is accessible from the trans pan without removing the entire VB,just 3 bolts ,its at the right rear of the trans,just be careful,if you rip the vb gasket,you need to drop the vb to replace it or cut a section out and replace just that piece.Also if you bought it used,the previous owner may have had a corvette,or Fairbanks billet 2nd servo installed.This will give a solid firm 1-2 shift,and hardly affect the other shifts.This can be checked easily without removing the trans pan by a trans shop in under 10 minutes.They can also install the weaker V6 servo that will tame down the 1-2 shift slightly.I have a ton of these servos kicking around,they are a dime a dozen at trans shops.We chuck them and put the vette servo in usually on our own trannys. The v6 servo has less holding power in 2nd,and shifts very smooth. There could be an electrical problem with the truck or a power programmer(Hypertech) could have been installed,this will firm up the shifts too.
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

While I am no where near the expert JD is, I have heard of several tranny problems being related to the shifting fork in the t case. I personally know of 2 4L80E that were replaced that had similar symptoms to yours that ended up being the t case shifting fork.
  4. John DiMartino

Mark,have you looked into the harsh shifting yet?
  5. John DiMartino

Mark,have you looked into the harsh shifting yet?