1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmissions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cumminswithplow, Jan 16, 2005.

1. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

What kind of life do the dodge transmissions normally give? I have always heard rumors that they are the weak link in any dodge truck. I will do all I can to be easy on mine. Change the fluids regularly ect. Anyone have any thoughts experiences or suggestions?

2. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

If ya Service Them they Will Last 4 EVER!

3. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

Well I wouldn't say ANY Dodge trucks....The old 727 trans is about a bulletproof as any automatic you will ever find, and the NP 445 and 435 are almost abuse-proof as well.

Dodges have "issues" with the late 80's/earl 90'sGetrag 5 spd manuals, some of the nv3500's and a couple of the 90's era Overdrive automatics.
    Usually, once the later autos' are properly rebuilt, you will never have another problem with them again. It seems that Dodge experimented with a new seal design, that apparenly didn't hold up as well as planned.

My suggestion would be to install a large tranny cooler, a trans temp guage, and some proper maintenance...and your trans should have a long as prosperous life. :)

4. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

90,000 and not a slip.

I agree with much of what's already been said. There were some years to stay away from, in my memory the first 2 or 3 years of the mid 90's Ram re-design had alot of growing pains. I don't know anything about the 2003 re-design. I do know that maintenance is the key. Take care of the truck and she'll take care of you. When plowing, change the trans fluid/filter in the fall before the season. During the season, say mid January, check the fluid again. If it's dark and has a burnt smell, change it! If not, keep plowing.
    Dodge is a good strong truck and I don't like the bad rap it gets over the tranny issues. It's a matter of personal preference, and mine is the Dodge.

And guess what........should the unthinkable happen and my tranny does go soon.......I'll just put a new one it and keep driving! :nod:

5. BigDaddyT

BigDaddyT Junior Member
    from Alaska

If you pussyfoot. It will wear out faster. You have to drive it aggressively to get the right internal pressures. I believe they are factory rated at 150k miles b50.

6. Purple

Purple Junior Member
    from Quebec

My Ram 1500 4x4 1996 blew its transmission with just 78,000 klms.All the klms where normal highway use,have never had to force it.I had to have it replaced.Don't know what happened,justed rolled to a stop on the highway. Anyone else every had this problem?