1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by zyter, Feb 10, 2004.

1. zyter

zyter Junior Member

I consider myself an equal opportunity plower. I say that because I own a 95 chevy one ton, a 92 GMC one ton, 01 Ford F250 Power Stroke, and a 97 Dodge Ram 2500. I grew up loving my GM products and still do. One exception is that I wouldn't trade the Power Stroke for anything when it comes to pushing the white stuff. The reason for this thread isn't to affend the Dodge lovers. Its purpose is to possibly educate me on better ways to prevent smoking another tranny. I've owned a 94 which I used for two seasons then sold it from fear it wouldn't last another. I sub thru a larger company that runs nine Dodges.They are averaging four tranny replacements a year. He still swears by them and is getting ready to purchase more. I purchased a 97 Ram 2500 this fall. We did a complete rebuild of the front end, replaced ujoints, and power flushed the tranny. I even put the same driver in the 97 that drove my 94. He is aware of the hesitation (shifting from forward to reverse) thats common with the Dodges. He babys the truck like its his own. This 97 has 51,000 miles and I found out that this is the third transmission in its young life. I love the looks and the power. It has a 8' front and a 8' backblade powered by a clutch pump hydraulic system(lightening fast system). At this point I think I'm going to part with the truck at the end of the season, unless someone can educate me on how to keep the truck on the road. Keep or sell? :dizzy:
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

There are companies that sell transmissions that are beefed up considerably. If you put a stock trans. in and you have problems, that should be a sign. I personally dont know of a company that sells a dodge trans beefed up but i am sure someone does. The cost will be more but is alot better in the long run. :D :D There are alot of guys that run double the stock HP through a auto trans with no problems. Hopefully they will steer you to the right company.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The only things I can tell you is to make sure it has great cooling and change the filter and fluid more. People pay big money for these trucks and they have weak ass transmissions! I feel your pain,I am a Ford guy and it's almost the same stuff with Fords!
    I work on an ambulance and our mechanics keep a spare tranny on hand all the time. The contractor I work for is on his 3rd rebuild with less then 50k on his 97 Dodge D-250/360. The last one lasted 9 months. That's BS.
  4. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

ive never owned a dodge im a ford person but what i have read about the dodge trannys is that when you are pushing snow or trailering the tranny heats up (like every tranny)but whats different in a dodge when you put the truck in park the fluid stops circulating and sits there boiling, to avoid this you have to leave the truck in neutral and use the parking brake. when the tranny is in neutral the fluid is circulating cooling it down. i know people who have brought their trucks to tranny shops to get this fixed. they have to bypass something and the fluid will circulate in park.
  5. zyter

zyter Junior Member

I forgot to mention that we are running an aftermarket tranny cooler and bypassing the stock cooler. There's a plastic restricter in the stock cooler which heats up and melts, thus causing the tranny to heat up. I had this recent rebuild done with all the updates to make the tranny stronger. We also added an inline temperature sensor and gage for in the cab. Hopefully these will help. I talked to the service guy at the Dodge dealership about my problem. He agreed with everything we were doing to prevent another problem. He also mentioned he drove a Ford.
  6. festerw

festerw Senior Member

APS Precision they will make a tranny for you that will stand up to anything you throw at it.
  7. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

Are you plowing in low range? IMO this makes all the difference in the world. You accelerate way faster, have much more control of the truck, use less fuel, get more done, and the tranny stays substantially cooler.
  8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i have never had a problem with my tranny but it get serviced 2 a year
  9. Headsupracer

Headsupracer Junior Member

Dodge transmissions

I have a few friends here in MD with newer 3/4 and 1 ton Dodge's that eat transmissions. These guys are very experienced drivers (been plowing for 20+ years) so they are not overly abused. The only reason they keep the trucks is because of the mighty Cummins motors that won't die.

One guy just bought a new Duramax and is still kicking himself in the a$$ for not going GM sooner. Do yourself a favor, drive a GM truck then a Dodge and tell me which truck rides, steers and performs better ;o)

Just my 2 cents... Not trying to flame Mopar.

Weekend toy below... 68 Nova, stock suspension, 477ci Chevrolet, 9's on motor and is street driven.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2004
  10. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Dodge Trannies
    A word of caution about the TransTech option.TransTech is flushing the transmission fluid including the torque converter.It may not always be a good idea with higher mileage and or fluid already burnt.The burnt look in fluid is friction material from the discs bieng overheated.This sometimes will act like sandpaper to the disk's surface and the grit will keep it from slipping.Now by the time it's to this point it will probably be giving up shortly.I have rebuilt many,Dodge Ford G.M. tranny's and they all have thier problems.The only advise is if you decide to TransTech your truck make sure you use ATF+3fluid in that.Yes fluid plays a HUGE part in transmissions.We currently have about 20-1 Ton Dodge Vans-all automatics. 5-6 1500 pick-ups (mine is one) 3-550 V10 Fords 1 5500 Gmc Duramax with Allison and 1 E350 5.4L auto van. My pickup has been rebuilt but You cant copare that to yours But to that extent i replacedmine with all new clutches,torque converter 5 gear planetary--factory is four--The valve body and pump have been drilled and i added a cooler .The biggest problem with our new one ton Dodgesisthey are back every 15 to 20 thousand for govener pressure switches.And yes,when doing anything heavy --plowing, towing, shut the OD off.The constant shifting is not good for the tranny.Take care of it and it may last but i promise if you dont it's like any of our other trucks from the F550 to the Duramax it will cost you later.They all suck when they break.
  11. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

For built trannies for the dodge-www.apsprecion.com talk to wayne.He's in california and can hook u up from a shift kitted valve body with a lot of his extras that will help alotttt.Or lump up the cash for a built tranny that will last.My buddy runs a 408 stroker with a superchager with over 500 horse at the rear backed by waynes tranny and it is sweet.Another place to look is www.thefastman.com he sells martain saine trannies for about 1400 setup very very nice.The weak link in dodges tranny is mostly the factory torque converter goin out and letting the tranny go.
  12. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

the story of dodges not circulating fluid in park is one hundred percent true and you should always put it in neutral after plowing and let it cool for fifteen minutes
  13. zyter

zyter Junior Member

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your input. We will be picking up the truck in the morning. We will do our best to perserve this tranny. Haven't decided whether I will keep the truck past this season.

Thanks again,
  14. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Dodge is know for trans problems, some are ok and some are not, I think thats just the way it is. I have had no problems with any ford trucks I have used. I have heard that the Chevy Alison trans is not much better than the dodge- it can't handle all the shifting. I also have a 99 Chevy 1500- no plow, no trailer- and it sucks. I have put more $ in repairs than it's worth. You name it, it went bad at some point. Other plow guys I know around here are not happy with their Chevy's.

I am not trying to bash Chevy, just inform you that they have just as many problems as dodge. I like ford, but some body will say the same that I said about ford. I think that it is just luck in how good a truck you get.

Does any body else plow in 4 low. I never use it. The 1 or 2 times I do, the truck is slow on the top end and has too much power for the brakes to handle. Stand on the brake to keep the truck still.
  15. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

using low range

I use it and for me it is the only way to go. But there are others that think that plowing in high range is superior. The other day a guy told me his trucks used trannys because his drivers drove harder. But the ponies in my truck rarely go thirsty and I'm still working on the original tranny at 120K and in its fifth year of plowing.
    Also see this thread
  16. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

The allison being weak? :confused: :rolleyes:

JMO and the oppinon of a ton other people but NO!

I'm running 425 hp and 800lbft of torque and have fun smoking people in my truck even with the 800-900 pounds of balast. If there was a weak link I would have found it. I have never slipped that I could feel and I have a digital gauge that shows trany slip and have never seen it slip.

BTW I am at the max the allison will take before it starts to piss off OD but the other gears will hold more. A shift kit and a new converter and I could run in the low 11's(thats the fastest any one has gone yet in a dmax to my knowledge and thats what he has)

The weak point of the Allison(other than over 400hp to overdrive) is the NSBU switch that chevy puts on em :angry: I've had mine shoot craps. The thing aint sealed well and frys. Chevy man changed it in an hour under waranty(there is a TSB on it) and replaced it with the 50$ allison made switch and I was back on my way. The symptoms of it dying are that you have 3rd nutral and park. No reverse, you only can move in 3rd gear, you start in 3rd gear, better hope you dont need to back up or go on the highway. A few times when I put it in D it would say shift range inhibited and I would be in 3rd. I was always able to play with the shifter and get it back to normal but didnt want it to totaly die so into the dealer it went.
  17. PLOWMAN45

i have never had a problem with a dodge tranny this is my 4th year must be the operater
  18. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

There is a place called Brians Transmision Shop (I think in AR) that makes amazing trannys for Ford and other vehicles. I am on a powerstroke (Ford Diesel) web site and everyone that gets them never has a problem again.

My question to add on to this is, does anyone plow with a manual tranny? I know if you plow a lot it would be a pain but I plan to do just a few personally managed small lots. Looking to get a new truck and all the "mechanical" guys say you will be fine with a HD 6 speed manual, like the one Dodge makes, for plowing and pulling.

Manual has more control less parts, and can take a lot more stress. Just curious if any of your pros out there us a manual????
  19. PLOWMAN45

there is a thread for manual trannys started
  20. CatDieselPower

CatDieselPower Junior Member

We have all Chevy Trucks with automatic trannys and have never had a problem with any of them. Just change the fluid and take it easy when plowing.
    2- 3500 HD
    3- 3500
    1- Blazer