1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

transmissions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by harley, Dec 30, 2003.

1. harley

harley Junior Member
    from ohio

wandering if anybody new? takes 10 sec to go into drive or reverse. when i put it in reverse it starts to shimmy and stalls. this is a F-250 super duty V10. 2000 Ihave only plowed with it one time. It has 63,000 miles on it. Just put on a new boss v-plow

2. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Sounds like the pump in the tranny has gone K-put....check fluid level......wipe a little on your finger from dip stick and it should be red & smell like hydro fluid,,,,,,if it smells burnt, thats not good. Also with you saying it vibrates, that could be the clutch packs have the friction material gone and when the lockup to create motion this is causing the vibration.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

People have had all kinds of problems with those Transmissions since the day they came out.
    I drove a 98 ambulance that would take the 10 sec to go into reverse! Sitting there going "beep beep beeep" while people were watching you was embarrassing. I was told by the mechanics that it was an internal problem. There's not much you can do without tearing it down. Try changing the fluid and filter see if it improves. I asked the mechanics how long will it last? They just shrug, said it could die tomorrow could go 20K miles. Make sure you have good cooler for the tranny. The mechanics keep a rebuilt tranny on hand they fail so much. We never had this many problems with the old C-6 / 3 spd auto.

4. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

5. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

FORD Fix Or Repair Daily ?? :eek: sorry, thats the DODGE coming out in me... Hope you get it all squared away.