1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmissions and rear ends

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CureTruckNumber6, Jan 26, 2003.

1. CureTruckNumber6

CureTruckNumber6 Junior Member

Ok i am here to admit im a moron and i cant figure these things out, I have a 1982 Chevy C30 Dually i am assuming it has 4.56 rear ends, and it has the chevy 4 spd transmission. I replaced the factory 350, with a 454 out of a 1986 Chevy c30 Single axle p/u.

My question pertains to road speeds......as of right now my top speed is 60 mph, it is higher but 60 mph is keeping from overworking the engine. What would i have to change to change the speeds. I was thinking of putting a 5 spd transmission in it but do any exist that would fit it. Then would the rear ends be able to handle it or do i need to change them too??

I would really appreeciate any help in this, as i have scoures the net for some kind of info on this matter and have found not much of anything.

Thanx in advance,
    Wesley

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Well you have several options. The first is a rar end ratio change. That will lower RPMs some, probably get you to the 70-75 mph mark comfortably. 4:11 ratio might be the highest available tho. But check around 3.73 may also be available.
    A properly built 700 R4 will also give you overdrive.
    Next is a 5 sp swap from the late 80's early 90's. They did run them behind BB but you will have a few of things to swap over. The most time consuming will be the hydro clutch set up.
    The last option is an aftermarket over drive unit. They cost between 1500-2000.00 $$ but you wont have to swap out the stock tranny and clutch set up.
    That rear end will handle just about anything you put in front of it, so no worries there.
    Dino

3. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

plowking if you get a nv4500 out of a dodge can you use the oem clutch or not? I have been told both ways that you have to go hydro and that a dodge 4500 can use the manual linkage

4. CureTruckNumber6

I really appreciate the response on my problem.

5. CureTruckNumber6

The 1986 Chev i swapped the motors with did have a hydro clutch setup but i beleive it still had the 4 spd tranny with the 4.56 rears, but i may have a line on some 4.11's thanks again for your help PlowKing

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

You may be able to use the manual clutch linkage from the dodge, but I cannot say for sure. I have an 89 with a 4 sp I would love to swap a NV4500 into, but I have tranfere case issues, and dont want to spend alot of money on adapters.
    The hydro clutch set up from the 86 will bolt right into the 82.
    Dino