1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

transmission

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cj3859, Feb 2, 2003.

1. cj3859

cj3859 Member

I just changed fluid and filter in my th400 tranny.
    question#1, does all the old fluid drain out of the convertor or no?
    question#2, the dimple in the pan,is that for holding the magnet i found in the pan in place?
    question#3, the bolt that holds the filter in place has a bushing on it so that when the bolt is tight the filter moves up and down 1/4-1/2 inch,is this right?
    none of these things are in my haynes manual so anyone who knows the answers i'd appreciate the help.

oh and thanks to chuck,your pan diagram helped bigtime,it also isnt in the haynes book (probly should go chilton huh?)

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

no, yes, and yes

3. raceman6135

raceman6135 Member

LOL

Paul's 100% correct. And quite "to the point" I might add!

DJS

4. 68bullit

68bullit Member

im gonna say-

1-maybe
    2-yes
    3-yes

maybe on number one-if the tranny has been rebuilt before usually the rebuilder will tap and drill the convertor so it can be drained.

this wil enable the do-it-yourselfer to do proper maintanece at home.

btw if it hasnt been rebuilt as of yet ask to have this done as well as have the shift plate drilled for firmer shifts(shift kit):D

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Paul is right.

6. cj3859

cj3859 Member

thanks

thanks for the helps guys,even the part store pros didnt know,go figure,lol this site has saved my ass on numerous occasions,keep up the good work!.

7. 68bullit

68bullit Member

which paul is right or are both of us?

8. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I think what cj was asking in his first question is if draining the fluid in the pan, and removing the filter will also drain the convertor. The answer is no. To drain the fluid in the convertor, you need to remove the flywheel inspection cover, and look for a drain plug on the convertor.

~Chuck

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

For future references,when working on chrysler RWD transmissions, with a factory tc,you can drain about 3-4 more quarts out of the TC by loosening the valve body bolts 3 turns,this will allow the tc to drain.then simply retorque them to 100 inch lbs after its done draining.If you do this on a gm,you may damage the valve body gaskets,chryslers do not use a gaskets,this is why you can get away with this on those units.