1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mowerbrad, Jan 4, 2008.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad Junior Member

I'm 17 years old and I am giving some thought to doing snow removal. I do lawn service in the spring, summer, and fall and have had several of my customers ask me about plowing, each time I had to refer them to another company. I would really like to plow for them but the only thing I am worried about is destroying my transmission. My truck is a 1998 GMC 2500 turbo diesel. I would only be doing residential accounts. Also I know enough to stop completely before shifting directions. With what I have, would I destroy my transmission or would I be okay?
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

First of all, I wish I had your ambition when I was 17. Secondly, your transmission is certainly going to get worked quite a bit if you decide to plow with your truck. It comes with the territory. All I can say is that if you change your filter and fluid regularly you are giving your tranny the best chance of having a long life - whether or not you're plowing with it.

Good luck
  3. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

Heat is the enemy of trannies. Tranny coolers are inexpensive and easy to install.
    This is prolly(sic) the easiest best upgrade you can do.wesport
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We have a 98 GMC 2500 with a 350 in it and it's had a 9'2 Boss on it since new. The transmission is original (touch wood). If you come to a complete stop before shifting, plowing snow is no harder on your tranny then pulling a large trailer all summer.
  5. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

ya its a 3/4 ton truck, the trans is pretty rugged as it is, i think? i know the newer style 2500's got a beefier trans than the 1/2 tons, but anyway, throw on a temp gauge and a tranny cooler and you should be golden. agreed with JDDave, no different than hauling a trailer as long as you take are of it.
  6. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

We have a '96 TD 200 hours plowing per season
    1 Transmission
    'dirty' commercial plowing old asphalt, speed bumps 20 mile an hour plow run
  7. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

Tranny cooler,Tranny cooler,tranny cooler!!!!!! the best $50.00 you could spend. No seriously, get a tranny coolerand you should be OK to plow
  8. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Don't leave home without one
  9. RipT

RipT Senior Member

Also suggest plowing in low range. Will help on trans heat and battery charging.

Avoid unneeded electrical loads as well.