1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission woes

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by secret_weapon, Jan 7, 2011.

1. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

It's 5:15 am and I'm on here instead of plowing. Why? Because about an hour and a half ago I was plowing, making a nice long pass when I here a 'pop' and the truck stops moving. Trans fluid is full. Trans was replaced late '09 first time out plowing for losing reverse.

No Forward, No reverse, nothing but a little noise. I went to put it in park and I could here the park pawl clicking. So something is moving inside. Calling trans shop @ 8am. :realmad:

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Converter, pump,....... Whatever it is that SUCKS I feel for ya
  3. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

had that happen 2 me last year lost rev i just went with a new trans no rebuild it was only 300 more for the new one out the door on the truck 1200.00
  4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

hey if the park paw is clicking the tranny is still movin. means no broken pump.

and if your not movin then only thing left in the system is the transfercase. somthing might have broken in there or i have seen this a lot. the shifter rod dosnt get cliped all the way in on the tcase and bam under load/shock it will pop out of gear.

might wana check this.
  5. secret_weapon

Update from trans shop. $1600. Rplace trans, cooler lines and 1 u-joint. :realmad::cry:
    Hopefully I'll get it back today.
  6. secret_weapon

I think this is the last year for this truck, I wanna get out from under it. This thing is killing my wallet. I wont put it up for sale on here, I'd feel bad selling it to a fellow PS'er.
  7. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

y are you paying for a tran you just put in
  8. secret_weapon

Last time it was put in they gave a 6 month, 12k miles warranty for being a commercial vehicle. If the truck didn't have a plow on it they would've given a 3yr 50k warr. Another reason I'm really pissed:gunsfiring:
  9. JFinch

JFinch Junior Member

Damn, mine cost 1600 for a rebuild with an aux cooler. They didn't run the lines through the radiator first only the cooler, they leaked, and about 3k miles later the pan gasket is starting to fail. they gave me 12 mo. warranty which is now expired. I didn't have a plow on it then and have only plowed with it twice ever. It reminds me that I need to get on BBB and write up something.
  10. sweetk30

sounds to me like the shop is not looking out for your best intrests.

recent reman job and 1600 again . plus did the cooler line rust out or the tipical cut and rubber hose and clamp job blow off like LOTS of low life mechanics do ? ?

and the ujoint was missed or thay didnt care to tell you.

all this info is good unless you drive the crap out of it and or do lots of miles on it.

also bypassing the factory radiator cooler not good ida read this http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/trans_life_expectancy.asp
  11. JFinch

JFinch Junior Member

Yep. They just did the cut and hose clamp deal. I don't mind that as long as it doesn't leak. Power steering hose does the job just fine. The truck has 198k, which isn't crazy. One piece drive shaft so no worry there...(not that they would have checked). I installed a temp sensor in line recently and I don't know if the probe is in to far or what, but it seems to be 3-4 shifting funny. Once it settles into 4 the rpms are so low. I think its probably the converter, but who knows. Doesn't get up past 140 degrees though, so I assume its alright. Thanks for letting me vent.
  12. secret_weapon

Got my truck back! The lady I talked to on the phone said they were passing around the part that broke because they've never seen a failure like that before. I asked her what it was but she didn't know the name of it. I'll have to find out.
    Good news! Winter storm warning this weekend, that money will pay for the trans. and I'll just eat crackers for a little while.
  13. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

Great...keep it in Ohio.
  14. sweetk30

my point on cut and hose of the lines is thay are ****** lazzy people. the dealer repair shops dont do it. so why should thay.

i would love to see them try that with the newer allision trannys. i have heard thay run a around 100 psi on them ? i know a shop here in town tryed to use a inline flush machine on one. had to jerry rig the hose ends to fit. thay blew the machine up when thay fired up the truck.

if that had been my truck and thay cut the lines thay would have been buyin me new ones. how many miles did you put on it from reman to now ?

lots of socalled tranny shops i have seen over the years wow :laughing: thay way thay reman a tranny its a wounder thay make it out the door. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  15. JFinch

JFinch Junior Member

I agee. People are lazier today than ever. I like to do things right once. If I knew then what I know now...different story. I've only put about 4k on it if that. I try to drive the rice burner when I can. Now that its gone I drive the truck daily. Now there is a front diff wine only in 4wd. Leaking diff seals/bearing. I've never done those before, but looking forward to it.
  16. sweetk30

idont care if its 6 month warrenty 4k miles and burnt tranny :eek: thay should of fixed it or at least gave you 1/2 off the price. and i would have been there lookin at it as thay took it apart to see what was wrong.

thats bull crap. big waste of your time and money going there.

send me a pm and i will give you my address to send the extra cash you have to me . i will put it to good use.

i watched a guy 1 time reman a tranny for a cust . charged full price on the thing. thay never cleaned the case out/off. then only swaped out the burnt clutches reused the steels. and worst part NEVER soaked the new clutches in atf fluid. installed them dead dry right out of the pack. i asked him why do that and no pre soak. he said its o.k. the fluid filles up fast when thay fire it up. :dizzy:

i have seen other guys pre soak them. almost 1 hr later thay finaly stop bubbling up in the atf and have soaked up all thay need for assembly.

hay its your truck and your money but wow not a good deal by the sounds of this thread .
  17. secret_weapon

If I had time I would've gotten a used one and put in myself, but I need it this weekend and would have lost more money not getting it fixed this quickly. I'm pissed at the tranny shop and I'm pissed at my truck. I've never had so many costly problems until I bought this truck. I fix it and think its good, and something else goes wrong. Time to cut my losses, I'll finish this winter with it, then buh bye.
  18. acornish

acornish Senior Member

wow - u guys have some sh***y trans shops , i had mine rebuilt 2yrs ago with a 1yr-12k mile warr. and recently with 24k on it felt like wasnt shifting into high went down to see them, guy said it was a stuck valve, and needed to be flushed, said ok how much , said pay for the flush-- and this is 2yrs later, got it back feels like new again, guess thats why hes beenn in buisness for 30 yrs
  19. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

This is just me but I would ask for that part. Then I would ask " if you have never seen (this part) break before then how can you blame it on this being a commercial truck and why are you not doing this for free"?

My head would be exploding if a tranny shop only wanted to give me a 6 month 12K warranty on a new or rebuilt transmission and it let go less then a year later. GM gave it a 3 year 36K right out of the door in 1998 if their rebuild was as good as new why not the same warranty ? GM didn't put a commercial truck exclusion on it. I know for my 2002 2500HD a GM re-man comes with a 100K warranty for only $1200 cash and carry.

I think you have a very crappy transmission on your hands at the very least they should have split the cost with you or had you pay for any new parts that were not replaced on the rebuild with them providing the labor for free. I feel comfortable saying what ever part failed wasn't replaced during the rebuild and should have been and how is that your fault ?
  20. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

I took reverse out of my 90 the first storm we had this year. Cost me 1400 to get it rebuilt. Put upgraded clutches, converter, and a shift kit. Sucks it happened in a storm but after having it back Im glad its done.