1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission went on my truck.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by vanwhyjr, Jan 21, 2009.

1. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

I'm glad I bought the extended warrenty on the truck!! It stared out with the OD light blinking on the shifter. I took it to the dealer and they read the code and said it was a silenoid for the 1-2nd shift. Then they dropped the pan to replace it and it was full of metal parts!! It looks like one of the gears is blowing up too! They have to get the warrenty guy in to decide what to do. Rebuild it or replace it.

I have rental on the warrenty so they gave me an 08 F150 Quadcab. Nice truck! Too bad it don't have a plow and spreader. I hope it don't snow for a couple of days.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

JMO, but unfortunately, under warranty they will put the same junk back in that just went bad.

I will never have a dealer do a rebuild on a transmission again, even if it only has 10 miles on it. I will get as many parts under warranty as I can, but not the actual labor and what they can do to extend the life of a transmission.

3. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

Yeah, I agree with the dealer issues. Unfortunatly I don't have the money to have a tranny shop go at it.

4. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Be sure that they flush the lines out and replace the trans cooler with whatever they end up doing. If you have metal in the pan there is most likely debris in the cooler as well.

5. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

I'll be sure and let them know.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Good decision to buy the warranty. It may of cost you $1,000 + but you saved $1,500 on the repair. My Wife has bought them on every vehicle, She's made out on every one! She paid $1,000 for it on our Windstar. We have got $5,500 in repairs out of it.(transmission, power steering pump, tie rods, wheel alignment, entire windshield wipper system,rear brake cylinders,rear washer pump ) All I have ever done is oil changes, brakes,EGR sensor and a idle air control. It has 85K on it and it's had all the defects fixed under extended warranty.

7. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

Yeah I'm glad I went with it. I knew the truck was gonna be worked hard with the plowing and everything. I don't usually buy extened warrenties on stuff but I'm glad I did this time.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

With me if I buy one nothing covered will break the for life of the warrenty! This is the third vehicle She's bought and made out like a bandit on repairs.

9. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

No extended warranty for me, I guess I'm too stubborn. I did buy one once just to be denied because it was a commercial vehicle. 1/2 ton 4x4 no plow but I had a sticker on the xcab window with the company name on it needless to say I had a few words to say and the dealership gave me my money back. A few of the dealers in town were suing the warranty company because they would deny all claims