1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission/transfer case

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Hummerslawncare, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Hummerslawncare

Hummerslawncare Member
    from Mass.

Hello everyone here it goes I need some help today while towing an empty trailer with my 1996 f250 with 116,000 miles it began making a loud clunk then a bang and now it shifts really hard in every gear and the transfercase if floping around under the truck when i shift from r to d and visa versa is this a big problem and can I keep driving for another week with it like that till my appt.
  2. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

sounds like your tranny mount gave up. if you keep driving it, it could cause any number of problems...such as...broken or bent driveshafts, destroyed u joints, damaged floorpan, busted motor mounts, cracked exhaust manifolds, broken exhaust hangers, damaged transfer case and/or transmission, broken bell housing....u get the picture. if you can avoid it at all....i would park it till it can be fixed. if the truck absolutely must be driven...if its an automatic trans...try shifting it like a manual, and let off the gas between shifts.
  3. genrock

genrock Member

Could be a number of many things. Like it said might be a mount for the transfer case might be the trans itself, It may be a u joint gone bad look under there and see if the mount is broke pull around on the transfer case with your hands or pry a little bit with a crowbar without crushing anything obviously. Grab ahold of the drive shaft and see if there is any play in the u joints look for signs of spun greese etc. Check the trans and see if its throwing oil. Hopefully its just a u joint cause that will definately be a cheap fix. Definately Definately do not drive it unless you have too. You will certainly add up the costs if you do.
  4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Could be a motor mount also. You can rev it while watching under the hood. Don't stand in line with the fan. You'll see the engine rock if one is shot. This could cause the transfer case shift lever to move around and noises from the exhaust or other parts hitting things.
  5. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

If you can let the truck sit till it gets lookede at you'll probably be better off--If it's making noise but still drivable, it's only a matter of time before something else will break. Why chance more costly repairs. JMHO
  6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i had that same problem metal hitting metal its a mount